New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Thoughts on Airport Extreme

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jjk454ss

jjk454ss is on a distinguished road

I just got a new Macbook and am going overboard on the whole Apple thing. I blame it on my iPhone initially . Anyway, I have a Linksys G router now, and I would like to upgrade to the Airport Extreme for the N and also for the USB support. A couple things are holding me back right now. First, the price. Not a huge deal if it will do what I want. Second, can I really use a USB hub to run multiple printers and an external hard drive. I would like to connect my HP psc2410 and my HP 2600n as well as an external hard drive if possible. Third, does the Airport Extreme give me the performance of other N routers available right now? And is something new going to come out soon that I should have waited for? Fourth, the way I understand N, having a G device does not slow everything down like B did to G. Is this right, because I will still have my Tivo connected with G and don't want my Macbook running at the G speeds since it has N built in. And last, is there different versions of the Airport Extreme? Or if I get one of the square one they are all the same?

Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
JeffBookPro

JeffBookPro is on a distinguished road

I really only notice the N speeds when transferring files from computer to computer. I don't think it it makes the internet any faster, however N has a massive wireless range. I get full bars even outside. My wireless G devices get only one bar when I am in the same spot as where I get the full bars on my N devices. Also a USB hub will work. I have two 1GB thumbdrives and a printer connected to my base station.

Macbook- 2.16GHz core 2 duo/2GB RAM/120GB Hard Drive
iMac 20" Aluminum 2.4GHz core 2 duo/4GB RAM/250GB Hard Drive
PC 3.5 GHz core 2 duo/8GB RAM/160GB Hard Drive/Nvidia GTX 275
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

I am not sure if this will help your decision however. I have an Airport Extreme with a 4 port usb plugged into it, from the hub I have an external hd, and two brother printers.

I also have a pc, macbook and iMac connected through the wireless, all of which share the hd and both printers.

You may also want to take a look at this.

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/airportn/

Good luck with your decision.
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

ChaePod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January

do a, b, g and n only refer to wireless connections?

cos i dont know if my desktop pc (connected via etherenet) will slow down a new MBP using 'n'
QUOTE Thanks
jjk454ss

Thanks for all the info. I am probably going to wait at least a day or two, so if anyone else has more to add, please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaePod View Post
do a, b, g and n only refer to wireless connections?

cos i dont know if my desktop pc (connected via etherenet) will slow down a new MBP using 'n'
That does refer to the wireless, and a dektop pc connected via ethernet will not slow down the wireless. It will just be taking some bandwidth away from the Internet if you are surfing or something on both computers.
QUOTE Thanks
DistantHoller

DistantHoller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83

I would wait, the latest firmware for the Airport Extreme is buggy like ****. Do a search on Apple´s forums and you will see people having loads of trouble with USB-disks and disconnects all the time. Wait it out and see if Apple fixes these issues.

(I have it myself)

A dead fish can float with the stream, but it takes a live one to swim against it.
QUOTE Thanks
jjk454ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantHoller View Post
I would wait, the latest firmware for the Airport Extreme is buggy like ****. Do a search on Apple´s forums and you will se people having loads of trouble with USB-disks and disconnects all the time. Wait it out and see if Apple fixes the issues.

(I have it myself)
Good to know. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« aerial booster for imac | All the lights are flashing correctly but no interent. »