New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

recommendations to expand wireless range on a G4 Powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raindogs

raindogs is on a distinguished road

My wife has a two-year old G4 Powerbook running Tiger. She's really happy with it and it runs like a champ but, as is common with the Powerbooks in the aluminum cases, her wireless reception around the house isn't great. I realize that I could go the “can-tenna” route and just rig something together, but aesthetics are a bit of a concern for her. I'm thinking of just buying a USB wireless adapter to expand her range a bit and I'd appreciate any recommendations. I'd like to keep it to around $100 or less.

Thanks a lot,
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogs View Post
My wife has a two-year old G4 Powerbook running Tiger. She's really happy with it and it runs like a champ but, as is common with the Powerbooks in the aluminum cases, her wireless reception around the house isn't great. I realize that I could go the “can-tenna” route and just rig something together, but aesthetics are a bit of a concern for her. I'm thinking of just buying a USB wireless adapter to expand her range a bit and I'd appreciate any recommendations. I'd like to keep it to around $100 or less.

Thanks a lot,
Alex
Start simple and then move to the more extravagant. Can-tennas are highly directional, so that would be a real pain. The first thing I would try is repositioning your router to an optimal position. Then, try "high gain" antennas. What make/model of router is it?

Check out the Wireless Networking FAQ for more information on positioning.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
raindogs

raindogs is on a distinguished road

I'm using a Linksys WRTP54G VOIP router. I actually did hook in a high gain antenna that greatly expanded the range around the house - my Dell Inspirion laptop (which, for the record, is running SuSE Linux) gets great reception even into my back yard. The Powerbook is still a little lacking though.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Start simple and then move to the more extravagant. Can-tennas are highly directional, so that would be a real pain. The first thing I would try is repositioning your router to an optimal position. Then, try "high gain" antennas. What make/model of router is it?

Check out the Wireless Networking FAQ for more information on positioning.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Modem Fast, Router Slow: Why the Lag? | need some help with sharing files over itunes please! »