New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

All the lights are flashing correctly but no interent.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

David147

David147 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I've recently bought a Netgear 54MBPS Wireless ADSL2 DG834 wireless router and I'm trying to connect it via an ethernet cable to my iMac (because it doesn't have an airport card). Having plugged everything in correctly and all the correct lights are flashing on the router it still isn't working. I have attached screenshots of how my current, working internet is supplied, the error message I receive with my new modem and the settings that are applied (incorrectly) and would be incredibly grateful if you could tell me what i can do/what I should ask my ISP to do. Please don't be too technical because I'm new to all of this...

Thanks
David

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Have you tried clicking the renew DHCP lease tab?
Worth trying first, it worked for me when I had the same problem.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
David147

Still no luck with anything. I've tried "spoofing the MAC code" but that didn't work either...
QUOTE Thanks
David147

Wait, could it be because I haven't "installed" anything. A CD came with it which included instructions but it also had all kinds of weird files (clearly intended for PCs though it did say it was mac compatible).
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

That could be the problem yes. But if there's no Mac drivers it's a bit odd.
Look on the manufacturers web site to se if there is one in a downloads section.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Two things that look odd in those screenshots:

1) at the top, it doesn't look as though your router is receiving an IP address - are you sure you're connecting to the internet correctly?

2) Your system prefs show your Mac receiving a local IP address of 192.168.1.2 from a router at 192.168.1.1, but your NETGEAR screenshot shows the LAN port using 192.168.0.1?
QUOTE Thanks
David147

1) Well I'm not connecting to the internet correctly since I'm not getting any internet!! Al the lights on the box are correct, however. Do you know how I can fix it??

2) Again, I have no idea what to do about that. Do you think that's the problem? Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David147 View Post
1) Well I'm not connecting to the internet correctly since I'm not getting any internet!! Al the lights on the box are correct, however. Do you know how I can fix it??

2) Again, I have no idea what to do about that. Do you think that's the problem? Any ideas?
1) I just mean do you know whether the box is connecting correctly?
2) Try resetting your DHCP settings on the box.

Or consider resetting the entire router back to factory defaults and re-enter your information...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thoughts on Airport Extreme | External HDDs thru AEBS & Using Leopard...Need Help.!! »