New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Finder Window Quits on Browsing SMB Share

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stardotstar

stardotstar is on a distinguished road

I have MacBook Pro with 10.4.10 and notice that often when I connect to a local windows server smb share via its \\ip.address\share it will happily authenticate and let me in but after browsing for a few folders of depth the finder window simply quits and leaves me having to make the share connection again.

any ideas on this - I have only done rudimentary searching and getting poor leads so I thought I'd ask straight out.

QUOTE Thanks
guirigales

guirigales is on a distinguished road

I had problems with finder closing, but not uniquely with one programme. There is a bug in stuffit which affects finder, so if you have stuffit installed try this.

http://www.asceticmonk.com/blog/?p=499

cheers.

I suggest removing all together.
QUOTE Thanks
stardotstar

stardotstar is on a distinguished road

good lead, thank you for that unfortunately I don't use stuffit and am trying to get my head around when and why the browse quits.

i suspect it is smb/samba related and perhaps something to do with the authentication at the windows end - permisisions or something because they are set to be quite permissive but not by ad or anything.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Netgear Wireless PCI card: Recognize? | Help please, no internet connection »