New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook - Wifi problem...I know, I know...please.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Harpersongs

Harpersongs is on a distinguished road

Hi

I bought my Macbook 2.16 ( you know, the middle one) on 7th Oct...I absolutely love it and have been merrily creating web pages and all kinds of stuff...haven't even got to the music bit yet, which is why I bought it.

I connected to my home network really easily (ok I had to unencrypt it but that's not any kind of issue where I live)...got a full signal all the time and never dropped out once. Fantastic. Why did I put up with Gates all these years?

This morning I switched on and the airport indicator was greyed out and has remained so all day. I use a D-Link G604_T modem/router and nothing has changed since last night. My PC (ugh) has connected all day, no problem. I've switched airport on and off to no avail, restarted, cold booted, done the option,R, alt, P thing - nothing. I have read all the posts I can find both here and on the Apple site. My wife's HP laptop connects no problem. I have never had any problem at all with the router so I am at a loss now.

I haven't seen exactly the same problem here but obviously am aware that there are issues with wifi...I guess I thought I was the lucky one.

Can anyone help. Please...

Thank you...oh yeah, I still love it!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sounds like faulty hardware to me. It wouldn't be unheard of for a wi-fi transmitter to fail. I would give Apple Care a call (or take it to a local Apple store, if possible).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

Have you tried turning off security on your router to see if it connects? I'd try that first to rule that out. Then go to the Apple store if that doesn't work.

T
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

What version of the OS are you running?
QUOTE Thanks
Harpersongs

I'm running Mac OS X version 10.4.10...

I have no security on the router and haven't had since I got the MB...I live in a pretty secluded area so it's a risk I'm prepared to take. The MB wouldn't connect initially when I had WEP enabled so I unencrypted it, thinking I'd wait for a software update that would take care of the known wireless issues. This is definitely a different problem.

I got the MB from PC World so I should maybe take it back to them...I'll give Applecare a ring tomorrow...I'm a long way from an Apple Store.

Thanks very much so far.
QUOTE Thanks
Harpersongs

Hi...little bit of an update: after trying the MB at several friends' houses with different makes of router, it seems that my DLink G604T is the culprit and there is a compatibility issue. this was confirmed by a friend who has the same router and a son who has an MB...he can't connect either. His other son has an MB Pro and connects no problem. I've tried to connect there and got zip.

Following the advice from Apple Care (who were pretty helpful), I'm going to try to update the firmware of the router, otherwise failing that will look for another make which is compatible. I am connected with an ethernet cable at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for your help and interest...still love the MB...
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

Have you got leopard?I had the same problem with my home network and then when i got leopard, in the post, today it just worked.
QUOTE Thanks
Harpersongs

Ah-ha...just the excuse I need. I confess I was a bit miffed that the new MB came out three weeks after I bought mine, but ain't that just the way...? I might give Leopard a try begore I ditch the D-Link. Thanks...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble connecting Imac to Internet | Netgear Wireless PCI card: Recognize? »