New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

problem connecting to my BT home hub via airport

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

You guys may have seen my previous thread, this is not a duplicate thread. I am now back at home, a missed flight and $800 later. So i cant seem to be able to connect to my broadband at home. I can connect via ethernet as i am currently doing but i dont want to have to sit in my kitchen when i want to surf the net. Basically everytime i try to connect is says there has been an error. I dont understand because i successfully connected my Wii and my PSP to this router already, so i just dont see the problem. I have WEP security on my router and its a ADSL connection thingy.
QUOTE Thanks
55ovalcharlie

55ovalcharlie is on a distinguished road

try putting a $ sign in front of your WEP password when it asks you to enter it.

that worked for me when i had the same problem
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

MBNick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Black

I'm with Virgin Media (a.k.a Cox) And I saw a advert for BT broadband and it said not Mac compatible.

Are you sure that is compatible with AirPort?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

that must be the problem, no i wasn't sure i only just purchased my mac last week and ive had bt broadband for a year now, just 6 more months of their crappy contract and then we get sky well that is annoying but at least i know now, my dad has virgin media and it works no problem at his house, thanks
(Mods question answered fell free to close thread)
QUOTE Thanks
VolcomLegend

VolcomLegend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac: CD 2.0GHz, 2GB, 250GB, SuperDrive, 20" MacBook: CD 2.0GHz, 1GB, 60GB, SuperDrive, White

Wi-Fi is a standard - all routers *should* work - BT doesn't support Macs though.

Anyhoo - I have a BT Home Hub, an iMac and a MacBook and all work flawlessly together. When you are prompted for the key there should be a drop-down menu with WEP pre-selected. Change this to WEP (HEX) or something like that.

Also, the Hub has a couple of keys on the back. One says 'Fusion' and the other says 'Home Hub Wireless'. Ensure it is the latter.

BTW... What version of OS X are you using? Mine has worked with 10.4.6 to 10.4.10 and with Leopard.

EDIT: When I say BT doesn't support Macs, I meant technical support on the telephone. I just don't tell them and when they say 'open internet explorer' I just say ok and open Safari.

The packaging said 'Windows Vista or better', so I got OS X

SpecialEdition - My iWebSite
QUOTE Thanks
55ovalcharlie

55ovalcharlie is on a distinguished road

putting the "$" in front of the password apparently tells it that it is hex (or something like that?) can't remember exactly what the bloke from apple said, all i know is that after I put the $ in the password everything worked great
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet questions on Mac | Networking an External HD »