Thread: problem connecting to my BT home hub via airport

problem connecting to my BT home hub via airport
    You guys may have seen my previous thread, this is not a duplicate thread. I am now back at home, a missed flight and $800 later. So i cant seem to be able to connect to my broadband at home. I can connect via ethernet as i am currently doing but i dont want to have to sit in my kitchen when i want to surf the net. Basically everytime i try to connect is says there has been an error. I dont understand because i successfully connected my Wii and my PSP to this router already, so i just dont see the problem. I have WEP security on my router and its a ADSL connection thingy.

try putting a $ sign in front of your WEP password when it asks you to enter it.

that worked for me when i had the same problem

I'm with Virgin Media (a.k.a Cox) And I saw a advert for BT broadband and it said not Mac compatible.

Are you sure that is compatible with AirPort?

that must be the problem, no i wasn't sure i only just purchased my mac last week and ive had bt broadband for a year now, just 6 more months of their crappy contract and then we get sky well that is annoying but at least i know now, my dad has virgin media and it works no problem at his house, thanks
    (Mods question answered fell free to close thread)

It *IS* Mac compatible
    Wi-Fi is a standard - all routers *should* work - BT doesn't support Macs though.

Anyhoo - I have a BT Home Hub, an iMac and a MacBook and all work flawlessly together. When you are prompted for the key there should be a drop-down menu with WEP pre-selected. Change this to WEP (HEX) or something like that.

Also, the Hub has a couple of keys on the back. One says 'Fusion' and the other says 'Home Hub Wireless'. Ensure it is the latter.

BTW... What version of OS X are you using? Mine has worked with 10.4.6 to 10.4.10 and with Leopard.

EDIT: When I say BT doesn't support Macs, I meant technical support on the telephone. I just don't tell them and when they say 'open internet explorer' I just say ok and open Safari.
    The packaging said 'Windows Vista or better', so I got OS X

SpecialEdition - My iWebSite

putting the "$" in front of the password apparently tells it that it is hex (or something like that?) can't remember exactly what the bloke from apple said, all i know is that after I put the $ in the password everything worked great

Thread Information