New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Accessing Vista Ultimate from Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knightjp

knightjp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB ram running OS X Lion

Hey,
I have a two Desktops at home.... one Mac and one PC...

My Mac is a PowerPC G4 with Panther on it. The PC which belongs to my brother, had XP on it. It used to be a breeze connecting to it. I even got an applescript ready to mount the shared drives on the PC in just one click. The catch is I used to use the Go>Connect to Server> smb://.... routine. And I always used the Administrator account and password for it.
Recently my bro put Vista Ultimate on it.... now my script doesn't work and if I try to connect to it the usual way.... it does not work.... I get stuck @ the point when it asks for a username and password for the Vista PC....

Any ideas would be helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Vista made changes and is using NTLMv2 instead of LM & NTLM.

Follow the instructions from this URL and it should fix it. I had the exact same issues and could not log into Vista.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showpo...45&postcount=3

Hope that does it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

Thanks for the info man, but it didn't work for me. How did you get it work for you???

Anyone else has an idea of what to do???
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you logging in with Username and Password? Since you already have your Mac set up as it worked with XP, what I pointed you too should do it but you do have to log in. I always used Administrator and the Admin password for both XP and Vista.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Are you logging in with Username and Password? Since you already have your Mac set up as it worked with XP, what I pointed you too should do it but you do have to log in. I always used Administrator and the Admin password for both XP and Vista.
I use the Administrator account for XP too. But that is the problem. The Administrator password and account does not work anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

I just can't understand what is going on.

I changed whatever the link said to change... I enabled the Administrator account (Vista disables this by default).... I checked whether both the PCs are on the same workgroup....
I did practically everything I know to do.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
I just can't understand what is going on.

I changed whatever the link said to change... I enabled the Administrator account (Vista disables this by default).... I checked whether both the PCs are on the same workgroup....
I did practically everything I know to do.
I will do some checking around and get back to you. I no longer have Vista here so can't mess with it. This was back in the RC2 days. Before I changed the network settings in Vista like the URL I gave you, I could not log in at all. After that change it worked both ways with every Mac here at the house. I can't remember if I had to do something special to log in or not. Will get back to you if I find something.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I will do some checking around and get back to you. I no longer have Vista here so can't mess with it. This was back in the RC2 days. Before I changed the network settings in Vista like the URL I gave you, I could not log in at all. After that change it worked both ways with every Mac here at the house. I can't remember if I had to do something special to log in or not. Will get back to you if I find something.
Thanks for the help dude. I'm trying to find help online too. But every site that I've been to so far tells me to do what you've already told me to do.

I would gladly tell my brother to go back to XP but its his choice to use Vista and since its his PC, I have no real say in the matter.
Personally I don't feel that Vista has all the bugs taken out of it yet. All software goes through this stage. But its more striking in Windows. I never moved to XP from 2000 until SP2 came out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac, Macbook Pro... & Wired Broadband | Is Airport Exteme That Easy? »