New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac - Hello

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FoosIason

FoosIason is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 ghz intel core 2 duo, 2gb of ram.

alright so I purchased a new 24" iMac and I am using a wireless connection. But it is weird, my airport will random switch off of my wireless network, even though it is still up and running beautifully. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Is there a trick? Is there a time out? Because about every 20 mins I get booted off my wireless network and I have to select the wireless network again, it is very frustrating. If you have a suggestion it's greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
disasterboy

disasterboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac

hi, i'm also interested in any replies to this as this happens to me alot with my iMac 17". My iMac kind of goes through phases of doing it alot, then not for a few days/weeks, it's very frustrating, especially if you leave something to download and it keeps being stopped. I have checked the router when the connection from my mac fails, and is always still connected to the internet and wireless still on etc..is very strange!
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Try going to

Apple>System Preferences>Network

Make sure the connection type you want as your primary is at the top ie I am hard wired so ethernet is first then airport is second

Delete the ones you do not need

Also try turning off sleep options as this can cause them to drop off hte wireless due to inactivity by the router
QUOTE Thanks
Matt Deasay

Matt Deasay will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1

You might want to try logging into your wireless router settings and adjusting the wireless channel.

It could also be your ISP, and might want to contact them to make sure everything is ok.
QUOTE Thanks
FoosIason

FoosIason is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 ghz intel core 2 duo, 2gb of ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disasterboy View Post
hi, i'm also interested in any replies to this as this happens to me alot with my iMac 17". My iMac kind of goes through phases of doing it alot, then not for a few days/weeks, it's very frustrating, especially if you leave something to download and it keeps being stopped. I have checked the router when the connection from my mac fails, and is always still connected to the internet and wireless still on etc..is very strange!
That's interesting because mine will do that and well I'm sick of it. I haven't found a fix yet. It's annoying to say the least.
QUOTE Thanks
disasterboy

disasterboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac

yeah it is annoying, i've followed all the steps on here to prevent it happening in the future, but as i mentioned before, it doesn't do it all the time, and thankfully it's not done it for a while. lets hope it stays that way!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie Question | Quick Question »