New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

New with mac. How do I get the wireless working?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Helle

Helle is on a distinguished road

I have an ASUS wl-566gM wireless router, and it is really easy to install when you have windows, but I don't understand the mac yet.
How do I run the setup.exe file to install the router?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

you dont need to install anything. Just select the router from your wireless menu

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Matt Deasay

Matt Deasay will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
you dont need to install anything. Just select the router from your wireless menu
Agreed. And correct me if I'm wrong, .exe files are not supported on Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Correct, .exe 's are executable files that windows uses. .app's are basically the mac version of a .exe
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helle View Post
I have an ASUS wl-566gM wireless router, and it is really easy to install when you have windows, but I don't understand the mac yet.
How do I run the setup.exe file to install the router?

Thanks
Others here already answered your .exe question. How is the router set up for Wireless? Are you using WEP or WPA?
QUOTE Thanks
Helle

I think it is WEP. I have found the network, but now I need a password. Normally it is generated automatically, when installing?
QUOTE Thanks
Helle

Oh no, it is WPA
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helle View Post
Oh no, it is WPA
Does the router tell you what the WPA key is that is makes? I have the manual here for your router but some of the WIFI instructions are not that clear in the manual.
QUOTE Thanks
Helle

I have found the WPA. Problem solved.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using a neighbor's wireless internet | Network in Finder can't see my PC's »