New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Need help hooking up Printer to Existing Network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNNJ

MacNNJ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB

Can I just use this: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=M9470LL/A

I have a Netgear Max router with no USB print server ports. If I get the above, will it work with my router or do I need the APE Base station?

Or what do you recommend?

I have a HP C4280. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=TM785LL/A

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

I'm fairly sure that the express does just what you want it to do. Network a printer to share. Its the full airport Base Station that does both Hard Drives and Printers. So if in the future you want to share and external hd over the network then get the base station, otherwise the express will be just fine.

QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

The express will do the print server thing, and I believe would also allow you to connect an ethernet network drive to the ethernet port (assuming you use the express in "repeater" mode and let your Netgear router continue to be your interface with your cable or dsl modem).

I've been using an Express for a little over a year as a range extender and Airtunes player, and it's very stable and does what it's supposed to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ownership on Folders | networking G4 to Mac Intel »