New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChaePod

ChaePod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January

Hey guys, I've been looking at the airport extreme base station, and read a lot of positive review so i am currently cosidering purchasing this product.

I have a few questions i would like to ask

On the description of the product it says it increases performance by 5x. Is this only for wireless internet or does it include computers connected by the ethernet cable.

By performance, does it mean the time it takes to load pages and the download speed?

secondly, On the back there is a USB port, can i plug a USB hub in there and plug lots of stuff in.
eg. printer and an external hard drive, and can i customize it so that the all the computers can use the printer but only i can use the external hard drive? (for leopard time machine)

P.S. I am currently using a Belkin Router which is ancient (literally). So I'm hoping the Airport extreme base station will increase my performance by a lot.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

I think by performance it means maximum capable wireless transfer speed.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

ChaePod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January

can i customize it so that the all the computers can use the printer but only i can use the external hard drive? (for leopard time machine)
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

I believe your hd can be assigned a password to prevent others from gaining access.
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Well right from apple's website:
"Up to 5x the performance, 2x the range
AirPort Extreme uses next-generation 802.11n wireless technology3 and features multiple antennas to deliver maximum speed and range throughout your home, classroom, or small office. You can enjoy up to five times the performance and up to twice the range of 802.11g wireless networks."

So it states 5x's the wireless speed, and 2x's the range over other wireless standards (a,b, and g). But you have to realize these are theoretical maximums. Also if you have any other wireless devices that use other then n, then it will downgrade to g. So to get the maximum speed you have to have all your computers set up for n.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Remember theiPhone is wireless g. I found this out the hard way when my Airport Extreme suddenly functioned much more slowly after purchasing my iPhone. I just turn off WiFi on the phone when I have a lot of data to transfer over my network wirelessly at home now and it's fine.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Bear Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Remember theiPhone is wireless g. I found this out the hard way when my Airport Extreme suddenly functioned much more slowly after purchasing my iPhone. I just turn off WiFi on the phone when I have a lot of data to transfer over my network wirelessly at home now and it's fine.
How does that make any difference? If the Base station is set to b/g/n (so the iPhone can recognize the network)... The link speed is still capped at 130 Mb regardless if the phone is on or off.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
How does that make any difference? If the Base station is set to b/g/n (so the iPhone can recognize the network)... The link speed is still capped at 130 Mb regardless if the phone is on or off.
I don't know I'm not a network engineer. But, it definately seems to run more slowly when the iPhone WiFi is up and active on the network. Could just be my setup.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro Dual Networking | Limewire and Firewall settings... »