New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

I seem to have a download speed from my Airport Extreme to my MacBook Pro of 5 MB but I only seem to get around 2MB in the other direction. Is that how it is supposed to be and why is that?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Check with your ISP. Many limit the upload speed to a fraction of the download speed.

QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Bear Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MBP

Uploading to the internet or uploading to an external drive connected to your base station?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
Uploading to the internet or uploading to an external drive connected to your base station?
Same question I was going to ask. If it's ISP, Yes it's normal. With every ISP I have ever worked with, upload speed is always slower than download and sometimes to a very large degree. If you are copying files from one computer to another though, it should be the same.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Sorry. Was not very clear on this. I mean to a hard drive connected to the base station. Has nothing to do with the internet. I assume that up- and downloading to a hard drive should be done to the same speed normally, or?
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

How do you have your base station setup?

802.11n Only (5Ghz) ?
Multicast Rate 24Mbps ?
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

I currently have the n with b/g compatible option, but I only have my n-enabled MBP connected when I have this speed and the max Multicast Rate available is 11Mbps, I guess since I am in the UK. But can those setting give different up- and download speeds? What do you get?
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Do you have another computer that is b/g only that needs to connect or something? If you only have your MBP change your settings to what I have listed above. Once you change the settings to 802.11n Only (5Ghz) you will be able to set the Multi-Cast rate up to 24Mbps.

The parameters on my Base Station are exactly like yours (only because I also have an Airport Express that I stream music to and wanted to connect to the internet and stream music at the same time). The only way I could do it, is having the Express "join" the network...and the only way the Express can join the network is to set the Extreme Base Station to n/b/g
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

I played around with these settings now, but the upload speed to the USB-HD remains at around 2.5MB whole the download speed is around 5MB. Does anyone know what the speed should an could be and is it the HD itself that is the bottleneck?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« More IP addresses | help - finding most recent drivers (updates) for original Airport card »