New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook - Problem connecting to my home network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmmedrano02

jmmedrano02 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a new mac book and I am having trouble connecting to my home network. I have tried everything to connect. I have contacted apple care, linksys and my internet provider. I actually can connect to my network but airport cannot find the IP address.

Can anyone please help me.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Linksys wireless router eh? Using WEP encryption?

My standard reply: Stick a '$' in front of the WEP key.

Otherwise, not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
pballa2099

pballa2099 is an unknown at this point

did u type in your iformation manually? thats what i had to do
QUOTE Thanks
litebulb1

litebulb1 is on a distinguished road

sounds like DHCP is turned off for your router. means you will have to manually give your macbook an IP
QUOTE Thanks
jmmedrano02

jmmedrano02 is on a distinguished road

How do I make sure what is the correct IP address and not for the router adress.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

PeterC4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram

Why don't you turn DHCP on? Under System Preferences - go to Network.
Under the TC/IP tab, select "Using DHCP" opposite configure.
QUOTE Thanks
litebulb1

litebulb1 is on a distinguished road

If you turn DHCP on your macbook on you have to make sure your router has DHCP turned on also.
QUOTE Thanks
NetworkMeUp

NetworkMeUp is on a distinguished road

To connect to your Windows PCs or file servers, simply go the OS X Finder and then select Go --> Connect to Server (Command-K). In the dialog box that appears, you can type the IP address or host name of the server you're connecting to and then click the Connect button. Alternatively, click the Browse button in the dialog box to search your local network for available servers and shares.

To configure a folder and all the files in it to be shared folder(s) on a network, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the folder, and then click Sharing and Security
2. Click to select the Share this folder on the network check box, and then click OK.
Local NTFS Permissions:
Owner: Full Control
Administrators: Full Control
System: Full Control
Everyone: Change
Network Share Permissions:
Everyone: Full Control

However, this can also be tricky because remote users and local users may not necessarily mean "network" users - at least, in some cases, not the same network you are referring to. Microsoft is not known for making this process easy for their customers, which you now know.

If all else fails, I work for a company called Pure Networks and I'd like to suggest something else for you to try -- I believe this will make sharing files much easier on you. You can try this free download to see if you like it:
(Mac version) http://www.networkmagic.com/mac/
(PC version) http://www.networkmagic.com/product/file-sharing.php

For full disclosure -- While I do not receive any sort of direct per-click reward or compensation for adding the links above, I do work for Pure Networks, the creator of Network Magic, so my providing the links may benefit the company indirectly. That being said, if you're still having issues with PC to Mac networking, I'm still here to help. So ask away!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« networking issue - can't see windows machine anymore | New Airport Patch - Killed my Time Capsule. »