What is up with my connection? Proxy?
    Ok this is the deal. I have the built in firewall on and have some open ports. I went to canyouseemee website to see if they were really open and they were, this is at home. Now I went to my college's dorm and now Joost said that I was behind a proxy... hmm that's weird I have NEVER been behind a proxy even after one year in the dorm. So I go back to canyouseemee's site and ALL of my ports are timed out even port 20, 80 and other ones. I tried downloading a file 1.7 GB and is was going to take a bout 3 DAYS?! That same file took me about 40 minutes last year! So basically my connection is being constricted for some reason, it takes ages to load flash sites like FOX, NBC, and such. What is up?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by cad2blender View Post
    Ok this is the deal. I have the built in firewall on and have some open ports. I went to canyouseemee website to see if they were really open and they were, this is at home. Now I went to my college's dorm and now Joost said that I was behind a proxy... hmm that's weird I have NEVER been behind a proxy even after one year in the dorm. So I go back to canyouseemee's site and ALL of my ports are timed out even port 20, 80 and other ones. I tried downloading a file 1.7 GB and is was going to take a bout 3 DAYS?! That same file took me about 40 minutes last year! So basically my connection is being constricted for some reason, it takes ages to load flash sites like FOX, NBC, and such. What is up?
    Your school likely has a proxy server and/or NAT-based routing that all outbound connections are routed through, at least that's what it sounds like. Check with your campus tech support.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information