New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

what's airport all about? xD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Funky_Adry

Funky_Adry is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!!

i'm gonna get a new mac portable computer when leopard gets out of it's cage so i wanted to get somethings clear in my mind b4 gettin it.. when i get the computer.. i wanted to use the internet maybe using the adsl line i have for the main computer i got at home.. i heard it's possible to use it wireless using an airport.. but is there another method? and if i should use the airport.. are other computers like my main one able to see my internet history and stuff? or is it private..? & will my internet speed be the same as the adsl line i got or lesser as it becomes wireless?

Thanks soo much for ya time!!

Ciaoz
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Airport is just what Apple calls its wireless devices. They're essentially the same as any other 802.11b/g/n device. So if you were to get an Airport router, your other computers would have no trouble connecting to it. The same goes for a wireless router from a different company, your Mac would connect just fine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

yeah, airport is not another service (as I am assuming you are thinking) but just apples name for their brand of wirless networking hanrdware.
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

Also airport is dead easy to setup in comparison to other wireless routers. It also has a USB port that can be used for an external drive, printer, or pretty much anything else that's USB.
QUOTE Thanks
Funky_Adry

hey guys!!

thanks soo much for ya computer expertise.. ok.. so airport is like any other router.. cool! but does someone know if while i use the internet or so , someone can see my history or what i have on my computer..?

thanks!
ciao
QUOTE Thanks
bryans83

bryans83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

nobody should be able to see your internet history from another computer, unless you have an unsecure network and someone knows how to gain access to your computer directly.

I Only Let my iMac do the fun, important stuff like Videos, Pictures & Music. My Laptop does the boring stupid stuff like pie-charts, word documents, and spreadsheets. I Love my iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
Funky_Adry

wow!! Thanks bryan83 !! so i better check out my security level!!

ciaoz
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help getting mac mini and canon printer set up on network | cannot print wireless »