New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Slower Internet Speed when using Airport Express

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andrew.shalin

andrew.shalin is on a distinguished road

I've purchased an Aiport Express Base recently and mainly use it for my surround sound in my living room to play music wireless.

I have Rogers Yahoo! Portable High Speed Internet.. basically a 1.5Mbps down/ 512Kbps up wireless internet. It's a modem that you plug into a power outlet and into your Ethernet connection.

When plugged indirectly to my MacBook I am getting download speed of about 1.6Mbps down. When I connect the modem to Airport Express and connect to my Airport Express using the MacBook, I get about 300-400Kbps down speeds with having 5 bars out of 5 on the connection meter..

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is there a setting that could be limiting it?

Thanks,
Andrew.
QUOTE Thanks
ivan901

ivan901 is on a distinguished road

try changing the mtu setting in the router to 1450
QUOTE Thanks
andrew.shalin

How do you get to the mtu setting dialog?
QUOTE Thanks
ivan901

personally i don't use airport i use netgear but all routers have a way to log into them and change the settings ... possibly the airport utility in your utilities folder in applications. sorry im not much help for that
QUOTE Thanks
ivan901

found this in faq

Q: How do I access my router’s configuration options?
A: Like with many things, the process will vary depending on the make and model of your router. Typically this is done by connecting a computer via an Ethernet connection to the back of your router directly. Then, open a web browser (like Safari or Firefox) and typing the IP address of the router in the address bar. The IP address, username and password for logging into the router’s configuration page is typically listed in your router’s manual.
QUOTE Thanks
andrew.shalin

Thanks Ivan.

Airport Express doesn't have that option anywhere in the set up that I can find. And it doesn't let you connet to the settings through it's ip. It's usually done through the AirPort Utility.

Thanks for the help anyway
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« couldn't get the option for wep hex security | Help Please! (airport extreme) »