New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook - Can't use Internet with OSX! Workarounds?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nemesis-rox

Nemesis-rox is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm teaching at a college in China, and living on campus.

The campus Internet requires use of an authentication program called Dr. Com, which is Windows only. At present, my brand new (1 month old) Macbook is sitting in the corner, while I am forced to get online using an old beater Windows machine the uni gave me.

It sucks large.

What are my options? If I used Parallels to load the authentication program, would my entire computer go online, or only the Windows, uh, window?

However, I'd rather not use Parallels unless absolutely necessary. Simply, I don't want Windows XP on my computer. So, I was thinking about hooking up a Wi-Fi router to the Windows machine, and then going online with my Macbook via Airport.

I bought a router yesterday. My Mac says it's online, but all sites I try to access won't load. Safari shows a DNS error, Firefox simply says "unable to connect".

So, in summary, here are my questions:

1. Is there some way to configure the Wi-Fi router to give my Mac access?

2. If not, and I must use Parallels...
a) Will my OSX platform be able to access the net, or only the Windows one?
b) Any chance of Parallels mucking up my computer? Will it slow things down?

FYI, I've got a white Macbook, 2.0 GHz, 2GB ram, 80 GB HD, 35 GB currently free.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
QUOTE Thanks
mrcartman91

mrcartman91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz White MacBook | White iPod Video 60 gig | 20 gig 4th gen iPod | 15 gig 3rd gen iPod |

I would think you may be able to build... or find a desktop box with wifi in it... use this windows box to connect to with wifi... after you get it share the connection with your ethernet adaptor and use a crossover cable to connect your macbook and your windows machine and share the connection.

OR

you may be able to buy a cheap wifi adaptor... like a usb... and use it to brodcast your own wifi connection... and share it with the incoming wifi connection...

you may also want to use dr com with crossover for mac... it lets you run windows programs on a mac without installing windows...

o ya one more thing... i know that the macbook has bluetooth... but if your windows machine has bluetooth too you can share the internet connection over bluetooth...

hope one of these solutions work
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat/Adium trouble with proxy | still having airport troubles. »