New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Please Help Me Set Up My Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Starky

Starky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD

Hey guys here it is:

Trying to set up my wireless router - my ISP requires mac address authentication and we are using more than one computer

I understand that I need to find the mac address of this laptop (which I registered on) and then change the mac address of my router to the same one

I can access my router via 192.168.1.1 but I don't really know where to find the correct mac address... none so far seem to work

Could you guys help please? My network works fine - just no internet on it yet
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I lose

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
litebulb1

litebulb1 is on a distinguished road

I believe Starky is wondering how to get the mac address of his router.
QUOTE Thanks
CArmstrong

CArmstrong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB

Starky, your router should tell you its MAC address. Is it a Linksys router? If so, look on the "Setup" tab. Then click "MAC Address Clone". You can enter the MAC address you want the router to use here.

"Excuse me, does this effectively hide my thunder?" - Tobias Fünke, Arrested Development
QUOTE Thanks
Starky

Ok, the ISP is registered to this laptop so I think I'm correct in understanding that I need the mac address of this laptop.

So here's what I'm doing:

Plug the ethernet connection into laptop
find mac address
plug ethernet connection into router
navigate to router IP
change the mac address of the router

Still can't access the net =( If it makes any difference, it's a wireless Router, Netgear.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It's called Cloning your MAC address. Look for that in the router setup.

To find the Laptops MAC address, I take it it's a Mac, open system preferences, Networking, click on your network connection then on the Ethernet Tab. Look for Ethernet ID.

On my Netgear it's on the basic settings page. Look for Router MAC Address and click on "Use this MAC address" then enter the MAC address you got from your Macs networking. Save it and it should work. Not sure of your Netgear model, so if you have issues, what Model is your router?
QUOTE Thanks
Starky

The Router is a WGR614 and yeah I have done exactly what you described travis without any luck =(

It does the whole apply settings thing but then times out when it is trying to connect to the netgear site (and will not connect to any other site)

Is there any other info that I could find for you that might help you figure out what's wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
Starky

Well there we go, it just decided to work now

Tried it a few times and did a few resets and we're away

Thanks for all your help guys
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Glad it works! Some routers I have had to set up were stubborn like that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« my mac loses connection | Is it possible to increase bandwith through a Netgear Wpn824? »