New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Macbook and spotty wireless-n problem (on two routers)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yaderhey

yaderhey is on a distinguished road

OK, this is driving me totally crazy, and I don't know where to turn.

I bought my MacBook in June, with a Linksys-N router. From day one it was funky, not getting a very strong signal. But after multiple calls to tech support, I tweaked it to the point of working perfectly.

Then, about a month ago, the problems started again (I think after I turned off my cable modem and restarted it). Every so often, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, the connection drops to three out of four bars (no matter how close I am to the router or where I position it in my house). Then, Web sites don't connect. I hit reload about five times, or open up iStumbler or Internet Connect, and that usually kickstarts it into action.

Finally, I returned the Linksys router and replaced it with a Netgear WRN384 router. Same exact problem. I took it to the "Genius Bar," where they replaced the Airport card and "re-seated the antennas," whatever that means. Same exact problem.

I have no idea what to do. I'm thinking it is some interference in my house, but for years I had a Linksys Wireless-B router with my old iBook. Never ever a problem.

I'm trying to think what's changed since June, and the only think I can think of is the addition of two compact fluorescent bulbs in my living room. But I turned those off and plugged in the router on the second floor, where there are no CFC bulbs. The problem reared its ugly head again.

I have no clue what to do. The problem does not occur at my office, where we have Wireless-G, or at the Apple Store (of course). According to iStumbler, I'm the only person on my channel (tried 1 and 3).

Please, please, please help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« got new airport extreme! advice and tips plz! | Airport Extreme Selective Connections? »