New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Connecting to the Internet with a USB adapter using chipset drivers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

immason

immason is on a distinguished road

I have a PowerPC-based, Airport-less Mac running Tiger, and am trying to connect to the Net with a Netgear WG111v2 Wireless USB Adapter that has a Realtek chipset. From what I've read on the web, it's possible to run such an adapter with a Mac by downloading and using Realtek-provided OS X drivers. I did so, and can run the Realtek software, which recognizes the adapter (as does System Profiler), but haven't had any luck connecting. The Realtek UI displays a list of networks in the area, including my own, but so far it's been impossible for me to connect to any of them, and signal strength for my own network shows nil, even though the router is in the same room. I've been trying to connect via DHCP (as my roommates do, successfully) but the router will not assign my machine an IP address.

Anyone had any success with a similar problem, or have any suggestions for what may be the problem? Any help would be much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I mac g4 wireless card | Running coax through a UPS »