Question wireless ethernet connection questions
    My desktop is an eMac 800MHz, G4 (just updated to 10.4.6) and I have dial up at home. Can't get any DSL out here where I live. I"m looking at a local company which I thought was "satellite" because they do bring over a satellite dish over and install it -- but their website says they are NOT satellite, they are wireless ethernet.
    Here is the link: http://www.wirelessbeehive.com/faq.php

My question is.... how safe will it be to run my Macs (eMac and ibook) off this type of connection? I do all my banking and buying at home. I haven't had any problems doing this over the past 12 years using the ole dial up but, I'm getting so tired of this slooow dial up.
    Can anyone help me out here?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin01 View Post
    My desktop is an eMac 800MHz, G4 (just updated to 10.4.6) and I have dial up at home. Can't get any DSL out here where I live. I"m looking at a local company which I thought was "satellite" because they do bring over a satellite dish over and install it -- but their website says they are NOT satellite, they are wireless ethernet.
    Here is the link: http://www.wirelessbeehive.com/faq.php

My question is.... how safe will it be to run my Macs (eMac and ibook) off this type of connection? I do all my banking and buying at home. I haven't had any problems doing this over the past 12 years using the ole dial up but, I'm getting so tired of this slooow dial up.
    Can anyone help me out here?
    I would imagine there's some form of encryption (or at least exclusivity to your dish for your account), especially since they specifically require that you secure your wi-fi router if you choose to share the connection in that manner. Also, since it operates on "line of sight", one would have to intercept it in your place (i.e. stick their own dish in its path). I've never seen this implemented before, but I would voice your concerns to their tech support before you sign up just to make sure.

Check out the wiki on Canopy technology here.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information