New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Should I install 802.11n enabler?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac Dre

Mac Dre is on a distinguished road

i have a C2D 2.16 MBP and a linksys b/g router. i was wondering if i should run the 802.11n enabler in my situation.

i am not going to get a "n" router anytime soon but was wondering if the update would help with my current connections. will it improve the connection speed/range with my wireless b/g router?

should i not install the update since i do not have a "n" router because it might cause problems with my b/g router?

thanks, and sorry if this questions been asked, i searched.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

I would only install the "N" enabler if you are planning to use and "N" router.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dre

i have a C2D 2.16 MBP and a linksys b/g router. i was wondering if i should run the 802.11n enabler in my situation.

i am not going to get a "n" router anytime soon but was wondering if the update would help with my current connections. will it improve the connection speed/range with my wireless b/g router?

should i not install the update since i do not have a "n" router because it might cause problems with my b/g router/current setup? has anyone experienced problems using a wireless B/G routers after the update (like slower speeds, more frequent connection drops, etc.)?

im looking for people who have experienced my situation. C2D 2.16 MBP specifically or anyone who has done the 802.11n update and is still using a wireless B/G router.

thanks, and sorry if this questions been asked, i searched.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dre

yeah, basically i wanted to know if it will help better my current connection with my b/g router or cause more problems. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

No I don't think it would since it only enables "N".

Any fixes/improvements for wireless would be released threw the software update.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

You already posted this here.

Please take the time to read the rules since "cross-posting" is not allowed here.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dre

sorry, i posted here for MBP users specific.
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

It won't improve your current connection, but I would get it anyway if only to get it out of the way. All new Wi-Fi products will soon be shipping with (draft at the least) "N" support, so it'll improve your speeds in the future.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Im sorry bit this is ... a ... well No the answer is NO.

N=N
B=B
G=G
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dre

thanks for the replies.

so you are saying that enabling the capabilities of detecting n rage signals wont effect with detecting b or g signals? it thought by having n capabilities we should be able to detect older signals like g and b better due to the fact that it can detect signals better (i think they said 5x the range?). so having n capabilities should help with b/g signals correct? maybe i am looking at this wrong... please enlighten me.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Dre View Post
thanks for the replies.

so you are saying that enabling the capabilities of detecting n rage signals wont effect with detecting b or g signals? it thought by having n capabilities we should be able to detect older signals like g and b better due to the fact that it can detect signals better (i think they said 5x the range?). so having n capabilities should help with b/g signals correct? maybe i am looking at this wrong... please enlighten me.

thanks
You are looking at this wrong. This will not affect b/g ranges. Like iRock said,

N=N
G=G
B=B.

It can only detect N ranges up to 5x further because it is a newer technology. Its made to be discovered further. It will not help G/B/A ranges.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you enable 802.11n on your Mac, but only have a 802.11g router, there will be NO performance increase in terms of range or speed. You have to have a 802.11n router in order to experience any of the enhancements that come with the newer technology.

Now here's the kicker. There have been many reports of people experiencing a LOSS in range and speed after having enabled 802.11n but use it on a b/g router. So take that into consideration before you decide to do it just for kicks

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport frozen mac mini | Software for monitoring Airport Extreme Base Station? »