New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

D-Link/Macbook Pro Nightmares...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trundrumbalind

trundrumbalind is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, ok basically I have a D-Link wireless router which is providing net for about 4 macs at the moment. Mine is a Mac Mini and everything works fine. Now I've just bought a new Macbook Pro but I'm having zero luck on getting it online. First of all, here's the info copied from the router's product info page (whose 192.168.1.1 address I can only access from my Mac Mini)....

Product Information

Model Number
DSL-G604T
Ethernet MAC 00:0F:3D:B1:06:6D
DSL MAC N/A
AP MAC 00:0f:3d:b1:06:6e
Software Versions
Gateway V1.00B02T02.UK.20040618
ATM Driver 4.01.00.00
DSL HAL 1.01.00.00
DSL Datapumps 1.01.00.00 Annex A
SAR HAL 01.06.06 s
PDSP Firmware 0.49
Wireless Firmware 0.3.16.13
Wireless APDK 5.5.20
Wireless Driver 1.1.2
Boot Loader 0.22.02

No in the wireless networks panel at the top right of my MBP, I can see the network but when I clicked it, it asks me for my WEP key (which I may as well tell you is just ABCDEF1029) but when I enter it, I get a "There was an error connecting to blah blah..." error. Using the network connection wizard says it's an incorrect password but I'm CERTAIN it's right.

Now here's where I think the problem lies... on the MBP if I open up network settings and click the TCP/IP tab, no details are being provided for the DHCP's "IP Address", "Subnet Mask", "Router" or anything else and the almighty "Renew DHCP Lease" does nothing...

Here are the details entered under "DHCP Configuration" in the router's config panel...

Start IP: 192.168.1.2
End IP: 192.168.1.9
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Lease time: 1000 seconds

Could it be something to do with the fact there's already four laptops on this network and there isn't enough IP addresses available for the DHCP to pass around??

God guys I'm at my wit's end!!! If you could spare a little time to give me your thoughts, I'd be so grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to read,
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

I used to have a dlink router too. I had to set up the network connection and save the wep key to my keychain and restart my mbp. Usually after that it would work. This obviously won't work for everyone but you can always give it a try.

QUOTE Thanks
trundrumbalind

trundrumbalind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by milessthomas View Post
I used to have a dlink router too. I had to set up the network connection and save the wep key to my keychain and restart my mbp. Usually after that it would work. This obviously won't work for everyone but you can always give it a try.
Hi, sorry but can you tell me exactly how I save a password to my keychain manually? I tried connecting to the network and checking "Remember in keychain" but ti didn't appear in the keychain access application...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Original airport card connection | Very Slow INternet on Mac, Fast Windows »