New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

canīt see files in Vista Ultimate...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

denazgull

denazgull is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 2Gb 120Gb 8600GT 128Gb DDR3

Hi there,
iīm asking your help after long time searching for this problem, with no sucess. Iīm a proud owner of a MacBook Pro with 2 weeks, after too many years with Windows. I settle a network directly with ethernet cable with sucess, i can see all the Mac files in Vista but only can see the public vista folder in Mac. When i set to share any other folder in Vista, Mac OS X recognise in network but i canīt see any files, i only see files in public folder.
All i want is to share my media files without burning dvdīs.
Thanks for any help.

Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R2232)
Windows Vista Ultimate
QUOTE Thanks
pika2000

pika2000 will become famous soon enough

Make sure you add the user name you used on the Mac in Vista, and with the same password. I don't know about Vista, but in XP pro/media center, there is an option to enable "simple file sharing," which is also the default in XP home.
QUOTE Thanks
denazgull

I can networking and share files between the two OS but with Mac i only see files in the Vista public folder (i see all the folders that i set to share but canīt see any files or sub-folders in it). With Vista i see all folders and files in Mac.
Thanks for your reply.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Connect directly to the server (In finder, hit Command+K) by entering the ip address (smb://xx.xx.xx.xx) and then you will be able to access your partitions. Make sure you are sharing your folders from within Vista though (Right click the drive, and select Sharing)
QUOTE Thanks
denazgull

I still donīt see the folders files (only Vista public folder), but i manage this way: like i said in Vista i see all Mac files and folders, so i remember simple to drag my mp3 Vista folder into Mac music folder and it works, itīs now sending files to my Mac!. Hope this helps, because i saw people with same problem...
The speed information in Vista transfer is +/- 14,5 MB/s, about 18 min (15,3 GB left), is this ok for ethernet cards?
Thanks for helping.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Networking Help | Wireless printing with Airport extreme! »