New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Fast DL Speeds But Really Slow Web browsing.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lanmo

lanmo is on a distinguished road

I have been having a problem with viewing web pages. I have a Mac book. and When I download from Xtorrent a "P2P Program" and Files from other websites. I get really fast Download speeds like 300k. I have the the Airport Extreme Router The dome shape one not the new square one. and I have checked my router software to make sure that it is all up to date. and when I share files with my friends Macbook Pro We get pretty fast speeds around 2Mbs.
The Macbook Pro is also getting slow browsing speeds. and it is with all other programs that use the internet closed. Some of the sites just don't load and we have to click refresh a couple of times. and then they will pop up quickly.

Any suggestions would be awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

It sounds like it is a rather grave problem...maybe someone who is an network expert here can give you some valuable advice...till then how about trying this one out? maybe it helps...however I doubt it....

http://www.scifience.net/safarispeed/

kuchiki

ps: There is a similar addon for firefox also...not sure how it was named though...I think it was fasterfox or something...

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
BlackCivic

BlackCivic is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd

when you are surfing the web, are you also downloading at the same time?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Could be DNS related. Download a large file over http, like Google Earth, and see what happens. Web pages are made up of lots of little files - each being a new request through the router/firewall/etc.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Do this:

http://www.speedtest.net/

then copy the HTML code to display the result here.
QUOTE Thanks
lanmo

I don't have anything DL when I am surfing the web.

QUOTE Thanks
lanmo

Would Deleting The cookies, Cache, or History Speed up the web browsing?
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

MainMenu would be a really handy app to delete all the cache and cookies of your browsers especially if you use different browsers.

Oh yeah, it's freeware btw

kuchiki

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
lanmo

I download mainmenu. and I cleared the Browser Cache and the history is anything else I do?
What about trying to tweak my airport Extreme router would that make a difference?
It is like when I go to this site. The top half of it pop instantly and then nothing for 8 seconds and then the rest of it just loads instantly. It does about 60% of the time. and it is same for my roommate who is on the same network I am on. With his MBP
QUOTE Thanks
Quantum Flux

Quantum Flux is on a distinguished road

i have the same problem with my provider sometimes. fast downloads but slow browsing.

find out the ip addresses of your providers local proxy servers and try using a different one for http.

you can change the proxies that different types of trafic use in the safari preferences.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Sharing / SMB Problem | print server »