Windows Sharing / SMB Problem
    Hi guys,

I have a network set up between my PC and Mac. I've enabled Windows Sharing and have a music folder set up as an SMB server on my MAC. When I try to copy the music over to my Macbook, SOME of the folders within the main folder give an "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items". I can't figure out why some of the folders give this error and some don't.

Any ideas?

iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
    I'm guessing that some of your music collection was first ripped on your PC before you got a Mac?

If so it may be that they've been imported onto the Mac as Read Only.

To get round this, Ctrl-Click on your music folder and select "Get Info"

Make sure that in "Ownership and permissions" it says you can "Read and Write"

Click the arrow next to "Details" and you should see a button that says "Apply to all enclosed items" - click this and it'll update the permissions in all the sub folders which will hopefully solve all your problems

If not I give up

That doesn't work because the files never make it actually TO my Mac - they're technically on the Windows PC and I'm accessing the folder via Windows Sharing - so I don't have a Details menu under the Permissions to change it.

White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
    Sounds similar to a problem I encountered recently. I have come to Mac a few months ago after years with PCs and had a problem with external hard drives on the Mac.

They were showing up but were read only, so I could do very little with them. It was because the PC filing system was not compatible with the Mac so I reformatted using the Mac and they are now read and write access on both machines.

Not sure if your files have some PC based file info in them stopping the Mac reading them?

Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
    I've had the same problem reading certain folders on Windows, even though they are within a share with full read-write access. Sadly I've never found a solution to this, but I'm convinced it's a Windows bug/issue, as I get the same thing between Windows boxes too.
    [URL=""]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
    I judge you when you use poor grammar.

Thread Information