New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless networking

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bluewolf

Wireless networking used to be the folly of the wealthy and of big business. However with recent leaps and bounds in wireless technology the cost of wireless networking has dramatically dropped. Now that we have more than four computers in the same household and only one printer and broadband line it is becoming clear that we need a network.

The thought of drilling holes and having cables cascading down the walls and ceilings did not appeal to me. And so I turned to the wireless option. There is a great problem though. I have no idea how to setup a network let alone a wireless network. What I do know is what I would like to see happen.

I would like the broadband connection permanently on so that no one computer has to remain on for the connection to be constant. The printer must be on the wireless network so that there is no clumsy fumbling in switching the cables over. And that the wireless network is secure.

Working in an office with a wireless network I can see the great benefits of having one. Although as there is no on hand techie I have no idea how their wireless networks or can seek advice to how to setup my own. And so I turn the question over to people you.

The twist in this wireless networking is that we will have a broadband connection. one Airport Extreme Base Station, one PowerBook, one eMac, one XP desktop and one XP and one ME laptops.

Both the PowerBook and eMac will have Airport Extreme Wireless cards. As for the machines running XP and ME I am unsure to what type of wireless card they require.
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

Piece of cake. Just get a wireless router. My router serves an iBook, a Powerbook, a PC desktop, and two PC laptops off of one connection. Didn't have to do anything special. It doesn't matter what computer is on. The wireless router will plugged in directly to the modem.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If you're using the AirPort base station as your router, you're pretty well set. For security, turn on WPA (Wi-fi Protected Access.)

Get an 802.11g-compatible (Often just called "wireless G") PCI card for the desktop PC, and 802.11g-compatible CardBus adapter for the notebooks. (I'm assuming you have a free PCI slot in the desktop, and CardBus slots in the notebooks.) You may have to Google for more info on setting up the PC's software to connect to the AirPort network. Apple also has a lot of info at it's AirPort support site

The AirPort Extreme base station with USB port will share an ordinary USB printer over the network, but it only supports OS X and Win 2000/XP.
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

WPA is only available on the PC under XP so you may be stuck with WAP which all can use. Less secure but plenty on a home network.

Jerry
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbusa
Piece of cake. Just get a wireless router. My router serves an iBook, a Powerbook, a PC desktop, and two PC laptops off of one connection. Didn't have to do anything special. It doesn't matter what computer is on. The wireless router will plugged in directly to the modem.
My wireless router, I am guessing is my Airport Extreme Base station. And my ADSL modem will be the thing that connects into the base station and dials up the internet.

The one thing now is whether I need to keep my eMac constantly running if the network group needs to print. I am guessing that this would be the case, unless there is a network port at the back of our printer.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
If you're using the AirPort base station as your router, you're pretty well set. For security, turn on WPA (Wi-fi Protected Access.)

Get an 802.11g-compatible (Often just called "wireless G") PCI card for the desktop PC, and 802.11g-compatible CardBus adapter for the notebooks. (I'm assuming you have a free PCI slot in the desktop, and CardBus slots in the notebooks.) You may have to Google for more info on setting up the PC's software to connect to the AirPort network. Apple also has a lot of info at it's AirPort support site

The AirPort Extreme base station with USB port will share an ordinary USB printer over the network, but it only supports OS X and Win 2000/XP.
Excellent, thank you. This provides me what I need to know. The last thing I want to do is to have my PCs slowing down the wireless network!

'G' it is for the PCs then.

Currently my XP desktop is dead, this was mainly my fault as I had the bright idea of 'renewing' the windows files. :p I reinstalled windows but the installation went horribly wrong.

However this lead to the purchase of an eMac so I am not too upset by this fact.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

"G" means that the maximum speed of the network could be 54mbps, whereas "B" tops out at 11mbps.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MarkMoss

MarkMoss is on a distinguished road

I wonder if anyone can answer my question.
I have a DIR-655, which works wonderfully with my PCs on an N setup. I have a MacBook Pro that I love. However, in the Network Utility it tells me that my connection speed is only 130. This is not even half the max of 300. For kicks I setup XP with Bootcamp and on the Windows side my network speed is 283!.
Anyone know what the problem might be? It is not a matter of signal strength as the Windows side flies. It has to be something with the Mac driver. My MacBook Pro has the N enabled as I do get 130 and the N capability is stated in the utility. My router settings are just fine as all other systems on the network get 270 or better. My firmware is the latest.
Help anybody?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Go to Network Preferences (just via the Wireless icon on the task bar).

Go to advanced

Go to the TCP/IP tab

Go to IPv6 and change from "Automatically" to "off"

Try the speed test again.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best, cheapest most reliable NAS for Mac... | Problems with Airport conecting to network »