New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wifi problem with computer or router?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

Ok, here is the deal. Up until about a week ago, my home network has been working fine. The problem now is that the speed and signal strength are fine, and then all of a sudden, The signal strength drops from 4 bars, down to , and my speed gets very slow. Now, if i unplug the router, plug it back in, the signal strength and speed are great for about 20 Mins, and then the signal drops to 3 bars and the internet gets slow. Also if i turn Airport off, then back on, My Signal goes back up and so does my speed.

I am using a 4 moth or so old Macbook C2D, with a Netgear router rangemax 240. I have not changed any settings at all tat could have caused this problem. I am wondering an easy way to figure out if the problem is with the computer, or the router? I am going to test it with my schools WiFi, but i wont be back in school for 2 weeks.

Any Ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
korndevil666

korndevil666 is on a distinguished road

i dont know if your wireless router is over heating? it can seriously effect the speed of your connection if you leave it on 24/7. i had a similar problem so i installed a fan underneath my router and no problems anymore.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Printing Help | Can't i use Bluetooth and wireless at the same time? »