New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Network Noob. Wireless internet.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BzY

Ok so i just got an Ibook g4 to complement the office with an existing PC. so i want to share the cable internet among the two. will an airport exteme and a wireless router do the job? kinda confused about the modem, can i use my original surfboard modem for both computers?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

What you will want to do is get a wireless router (any B or G will do). Plug your Surfboard into the Input port on the router and plug another ethernet cable from your router into the PC. Your iBook will detect the network and connect using the wireless

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzY
will an airport exteme and a wireless router do the job? kinda confused about the modem, can i use my original surfboard modem for both computers?

1) Yes, make sure you get the card, not the Base Station (which is basically a wireless router anyway).
2) Yes.
QUOTE Thanks
BzY

just while were talking about this subject. how much of a difference between a wired system and a wireless (AP extreme)?
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzY
just while were talking about this subject. how much of a difference between a wired system and a wireless (AP extreme)?
Depends. Assuming that your wireless components are close enough to operate as advertised (i.e. strong constant signal), there won't be much difference if all you're doing is sharing an internet connection, or exchanging small files.
Big differences are that wired will always give you close to the advertised performance, and it can handle large files faster (100bit/sec max with wires vs. 54bit/sec max with AP extreme). Most internet connections are <10bit/sec.
QUOTE Thanks
BzY

thanks for all the help. picked up an airport extreme and a belkin G router. both are execelent! im very impressed with the speed, the major difference was DLing large files.
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Congrats....you'll never be satisfied w/ a dial-up connection again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« using US Airport Express in UK?? | Networking the mac to a PC drive. »