New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Puzzling Airport Extreme/internet Access Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimnation

jimnation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Mac Mini

Hello,
I have a really strange problem. I have a Mac Mini (no Airport Card), a MacBook and an Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme and MacBook are less than 2 months old. I had everything networked for internet access via cable modem, when I woke up one day to no internet access. I thought it was the cable modem - no receive, send or PC activity lights. I replaced the modem, and trouble-shot with the Cable company for hours. The only way I can get web access is to go straight to the MacBook with ethernet (kind of defeats the purpose of a notebook). If I go through the Airport extreme, I can 'see' the router, but it says that there is no internet access (ethernet disconnected). My Mac Mini gets nothing, even if connected directly to the modem via ethernet. Everything is set to pick up automatically. I have a hard time believing that both the Mac Mini and the Airport Extreme have bitten the dust . Any ideas gurus?
QUOTE Thanks
jimnation

Oh well, I guess it's off to the "Genius" bar for me...
QUOTE Thanks
jimnation

Thanks for the non-help...the Airport was bad -exchanged by a genius. And my Mac Mini has a bad ethernet port. Guess I'll offer money next time and maybe I'll get a response or two...
QUOTE Thanks
killedbyinterne

killedbyinterne will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM

I'm sorry no one was able to help you with your problem here on the forums. Don't give up on us though. Plenty of problems have been solved through this forum but we don't always have the answers. I guess thats why Genius Bars were invented. Anyways, I hope you stick to these forums. It really is a great community.

"Live hard, love harder."
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sometimes descriptions of a problem ring bells, sometimes they don't. Your description started sounding like an Airport Express issue until you mentioned the Mac Mini not working with a wired connection. As it turned out, you had two separate and distinct problems that happened to occur simultaneously. That certainly wouldn't have been my guess. Please don't assume that folks are intentionally ignoring you. Sometimes if I don't feel I have anything productive to offer, I just don't respond - and that was the case here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet on an iMac G3 | Airport Extreme Update - fixes those wireless issues »