New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook Pro - Airport Utility PROBLEM, please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slash

slash is on a distinguished road

So basically all I'm trying to do is open the Airport Utility so I can configure my Aiport Extreme Network. The problem is, when I open Aiport Utility it scan's for a base station (which I know is Apples wireless internet box) but I don't have one. I do have a Linksys WRT54G router though, and I am connected to in the internet wirelessly on my laptop.

So, What do I have to do to make the Aiport utility find my router??? So I can get into the configuration options, I'm stuck at a page that says "Airport Utility was unable to find any base stations...make sure you base station is in range blah blah blah"

WHat do I do??

Thanks in advance for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
slash

slash is on a distinguished road

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Airport utility isn't for connecting to a router...it's used to configure Airport base stations.

To connectot your Linksys you need to click on the Airport icon up by your clock in the menubar and choose your network.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

You can't use the Airport Admin Utility for anything other than an Airport base station. Use your web browser, and in the address bar type the ip address for your router.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
supermaneesh

supermaneesh is on a distinguished road

I am experiencing the same problem. I cant detect the Airport Base Station with the same error message.

In WinXP, I had to manually connect to the base station (File -> Configure Other)...connect to the base station with the IP address (the address of gateway in your network properties) and the password.

While I can configure the base stations now...I cant connect to the shared printer via Bonjour anymore.

I am hoping Apple has a new fix for this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless connection strong, cannot browse. | Wired/Wireless Airport Extreme Connection »