New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport keeps losing the network password

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MoltenLava

Hi.

I am a computer professional with five PCs at home networked together with 802.11a and 802.11b. I just bought a PowerMAC G4, and I have to admit I'm very impressed! I love the Panther a lot. And overall Mac feels a bit more snappy than the PCs. I think I'm going to phase out my PCs with Macs.

Anyways, here's the problem I'm facing. Once evey now and then, when I wake up the computer from sleep, it's no longer joined with the 802.11b network. (I have Airport installed on G4). When I click the AirPort icon and rejoin, it prompts me the password for the access point. And it gets annoying after a couple of tries..

There was an option to save the pasword in "keychain", which I did. My limited understanding is that keychain is there so that you don't have to remember individual passwords, and you need to know just keychain password. Evidently it's not working well..

What I'd like to do is have my Mac remember the 802.11b network password so I never have to type either the network password or the keychain password. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for the reply in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

The machine should remember the password and rejoin the network as soon as it wakes from sleep. Are you running the latest version of the Airport software? Hold down the "option" key while you click on the AirPort icon in the Menu bar. Then select "About Airport..." to find out what version is installed.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

I've recently downloaded "software updates" including the AirPort section.

Framework: 341.1.0
Menu Extra: 340.23.0
AirPort Driver: 340.18.0
Admin Utility: 340.26.0
Setup Assistant: 340.10.0

What's strange is that whenever the computer loses the network password, it prompts me to enter the network password again, not the keychain password, although I click "save in the keychain" every time I type in the network password.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AirPort Express | AirPort express... »