New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AirPort Express!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

How cool is this!?!?

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Incredible! An AirPort Extreme Base Station in a tiny package. I'll buy this for this reason:
"Take Your Wireless Life with You With AirPort Express, your wireless life stays wireless even when you’re on the road. Many hotels may have wireless service available in some designated parts of their buildings but not in their guest rooms. With AirPort Express, it won’t matter — as long as your hotel room is wired for broadband, you can create your own wireless network with AirPort Express. Just connect the AirPort Express Base Station to the room’s Ethernet network jack, plug it into an electrical outlet and you’re online wirelessly.

With your AirPort-equipped PowerBook or Wi-Fi-compliant PC notebook, you can surf the web or check your email in any part of your room, not just at the desk next to the Ethernet connection — it’s as if you never left your Wi-Fi-equipped house or office.

Or imagine being able to unwire a conference room instantly. If the conference room already houses an Ethernet network, you can connect AirPort Express to it, just as you would in a hotel room, and you have an instant wireless network accessible to everyone in the room who has a wireless-ready notebook computer."

How much are they, and when can I get one??????????
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

OMG!!!!! that sucks i just got a base recently and getting one of these would mean the current one would be a waste of money.. but maybe some day

that is soo cool and small that i might just get one anyway

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

This thing is badass. It's mine.
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

No its not, I seen it first! :p Its mine

$129

iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Hmm. From the Apple Store:
"Availability: Mid to late July"...
But I can see one when I go to Denver in July ---
QUOTE Thanks
d4rr3n

That looks very nice, especially that fact you can use it to extend the signal of the network you already have going.
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

im sure you can do that with them all anyway but thats a perfect excuse to get one :p if you already have airport extreme

iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
inferno10

$119 with the education discount.

I wonder how Steve kept this one under the roof. I don't think anyone was expecting this announcement.
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme43
im sure you can do that with them all anyway but thats a perfect excuse to get one :p if you already have airport extreme
No, they are a full-fledged base station. Look at the "On The Go" tab at apple's site. It states you can use it at a hotel without wireless, by plugging in your wired network cable (assuming the hotel has wired internet/ethernet), and plugging the AirPort Express box in.
QUOTE Thanks
prozach1576

You guys, the best thing is the audio out and AirTunes....

4g iPods will have wireless.
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Gotta love that -- and that it is a tiny AE base station all in one! =) I'll get two -- one to connect to the stereo, the other to go into the laptop bag for hotels, etc.....=)
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

i will definitely be picking these up......the stereo thing is sweet but i already have my whole computer systems hooked up to the house stereos.

I do love how i can bring that little thing in a bag....plug into a friends wired router or cable modem and get wifi instantly just by plugging into the wall

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Gotta love the instant wifi feature. Thats what the first one will be for -- keeping in the laptop bag, and instant wifi. the 2nd one is for the stereo =)...If I can afford one at all...$120 (I am a high school student) is a bit expensive for me...=( Anyone want to buy me one?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah it is very awesome and I would really like to get one myself.. very very smooth! Although I hear they are going to have an even faster connection speed, faster than "g" sometime soon.. which would be nice also! And great observation to the person that said 4g iPods will have wireless capabilities.. I think you are absolutely right!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless G Adapter For Old G3 Running OS9? | do you need an airport card for airport express? »