New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

DHCP & NAT not working on Airport Extreme

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

romahicks

romahicks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Intel iMac; 250GB 1GB - 12" iBook 30GB 512MB - PowerMac 8600/200

I just got broadband, finally, because I live in the bloody countryside in Missouri.

To start, when I connect directly by Ethernet cable to my iMac I get the IP address 24.xxx.xxx.xxx The internet works just right.

Because I have two computers, the other a Linux/Windows box. I would like to use the wireless router to give both computers high speed internet.

The problem is that when I hook my gateway directly into my Airport Extreme, my iMac still receives the 24.xxx.xxx.xxx address. I get wireless internet just fine on my iMac but my PC box get nothing. In fact while my iMac get the 24.xxx.xxx.xxx address, my Airport get a address of 10.0.1.1 and my PC get address 10.0.1.2. It seems that the airport is giving itself a client address and iMac the ISP-given address.

Shouldn't my Airport get the 24.xxx.xxx.xxx and the clients recieve the 10.0.1.1 series addresses? I don't know much about this stuff.

Here are the settings of my Airport and all client computers
Airport
Connect using Ethernet
Configure using DHCP
Distribute IP
Share single IP using DHCP & NAT
Using 10.0.1.1 Addresses
Airport IP: 10.0.1.1 <-- does this conflict with iMac router info below?
On the DHCP Client list it has no clients listed.

iMac
Configure IPv4
using DHCP
IP: 24.xxx.xxx.xxx
Mask: 255.255.240.0
Router: 24.xxx.xxx.xxx <-- should this not be the router's IP and actually be 10.0.1.1 like the PC has it?

PC
Configure IP DHCP
IP: 10.0.1.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.1.1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No wireless internet? | Netgear router help! »