NAS Network Drive and Airport Express
    I can't imagine I'm the only person that has tried this, yet I can only find vague information online.

I just purchased a NAS Network Drive, that connects through an ethernet cable, for online ftp and sharing.

I have an Airport Express base. I know that the USB port will only handle a printer and that remote. The vague info that I can find says the ethernet can use a drive like mine (although not supported, which I can understand why as it would make the Airport Extreme not as great).

But how do I do this? I don't care about using the airport express for any other purpose than a wireless bridge and for my airtunes. I don't need it to connect to the internet or anything like that.

Please let me know what I need to do or if any additional equipment is needed?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyfivemike View Post
    I can't imagine I'm the only person that has tried this, yet I can only find vague information online.

I just purchased a NAS Network Drive, that connects through an ethernet cable, for online ftp and sharing.

I have an Airport Express base. I know that the USB port will only handle a printer and that remote. The vague info that I can find says the ethernet can use a drive like mine (although not supported, which I can understand why as it would make the Airport Extreme not as great).

But how do I do this? I don't care about using the airport express for any other purpose than a wireless bridge and for my airtunes. I don't need it to connect to the internet or anything like that.

Please let me know what I need to do or if any additional equipment is needed?
    If it's a NAS drive, it already has a network server built into it. The AirPort Extreme USB port can be attached to a standard USB hard disk and effectively turn it into a NAS. If yours is already a NAS, you would have no need for the AirPort Extreme's USB port. That drive can work as a standalone device attached to one of the Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

which should apply to the Ethernet port on the Airport Express as well?

Specs:
    Yes. A NAS is effectively a small computer with storage attached. It acts like a server on a network. So, regardless of what kind of router you're using, it will basically plug into your network like any other client would and then you connect to it as you would any other file server (depending on how you have it configured).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Only if the Airport Express is operating in WDS mode to extend your network. If it's in normal client mode the ethernet port is dead.

can someone please explain to me how to do this? step by step as nothing I am trying is working..and of course i have no idea what i'm doing.

ALRIGHT! i figured it out and it works great.

However, now through my Powerbook I have to either choose to linke up to my Airport Express and work off the drive...or hook up to my wireless internet...I can't do both.

any suggestions?

Specs:
    I'm not entirely familiar with the Airport Express, but it sounds like it doesn't provide a normal network switch in addition to a wireless access point as most other wireless routers do. My suggestion would be to look into a real wireless router that has a four-port switch like most do.

yeah i've been considering that as well.

any other suggestions other than buying another device?

Thread Information