New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

NAS Network Drive and Airport Express

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twentyfivemike

twentyfivemike is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine I'm the only person that has tried this, yet I can only find vague information online.

I just purchased a NAS Network Drive, that connects through an ethernet cable, for online ftp and sharing.

I have an Airport Express base. I know that the USB port will only handle a printer and that remote. The vague info that I can find says the ethernet can use a drive like mine (although not supported, which I can understand why as it would make the Airport Extreme not as great).

But how do I do this? I don't care about using the airport express for any other purpose than a wireless bridge and for my airtunes. I don't need it to connect to the internet or anything like that.

Please let me know what I need to do or if any additional equipment is needed?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfivemike View Post
I can't imagine I'm the only person that has tried this, yet I can only find vague information online.

I just purchased a NAS Network Drive, that connects through an ethernet cable, for online ftp and sharing.

I have an Airport Express base. I know that the USB port will only handle a printer and that remote. The vague info that I can find says the ethernet can use a drive like mine (although not supported, which I can understand why as it would make the Airport Extreme not as great).

But how do I do this? I don't care about using the airport express for any other purpose than a wireless bridge and for my airtunes. I don't need it to connect to the internet or anything like that.

Please let me know what I need to do or if any additional equipment is needed?
If it's a NAS drive, it already has a network server built into it. The AirPort Extreme USB port can be attached to a standard USB hard disk and effectively turn it into a NAS. If yours is already a NAS, you would have no need for the AirPort Extreme's USB port. That drive can work as a standalone device attached to one of the Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
twentyfivemike

which should apply to the Ethernet port on the Airport Express as well?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes. A NAS is effectively a small computer with storage attached. It acts like a server on a network. So, regardless of what kind of router you're using, it will basically plug into your network like any other client would and then you connect to it as you would any other file server (depending on how you have it configured).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
DylanG

DylanG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Only if the Airport Express is operating in WDS mode to extend your network. If it's in normal client mode the ethernet port is dead.
QUOTE Thanks
twentyfivemike

can someone please explain to me how to do this? step by step as nothing I am trying is working..and of course i have no idea what i'm doing.
QUOTE Thanks
twentyfivemike

ALRIGHT! i figured it out and it works great.

However, now through my Powerbook I have to either choose to linke up to my Airport Express and work off the drive...or hook up to my wireless internet...I can't do both.

any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I'm not entirely familiar with the Airport Express, but it sounds like it doesn't provide a normal network switch in addition to a wireless access point as most other wireless routers do. My suggestion would be to look into a real wireless router that has a four-port switch like most do.

QUOTE Thanks
twentyfivemike

yeah i've been considering that as well.

any other suggestions other than buying another device?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« get Internet through ethernet, but not wireless | Extreme vs Express »