New Mac Book Pro not connecting to my wireless network
    I am having issues with my new mac book pro connecting to my network. I just purchased it and it came with the 802.11n airport card. The card recognizes my network but it errors when I try to connect. I have no security on the network and I get the "error joining the airport network".

I have spent about 4 hrs with apple support and they have done everything from rebuilding the system configuration folder. I have also re-installed OSX. Nothing seems to work.

They have tried just about everything.

I did test the airport card at the apple store and it works. I am also able to plug my ethernet cord directly into the mac book and the Actiontec DSL gateway and I can get on the Internet just fine.

Actiontec support has seen issues with the 802.11n airport cards not working with non-proppriatery (non-airport base stations) that are 802.11g & b. They believe that is the issue. I find it hard to believe that MAC woudl build a standard or card that follows a standard that woudl lock a user into a specific hardware.

Has anyone heard of this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by jbeals View Post
    I find it hard to believe that MAC woudl build a standard or card that follows a standard that woudl lock a user into a specific hardware.
    I believe you mean Mac and not MAC. And actually Apple follows a standard, since IEEE 802.11 is the family and 802.11n is one of them.

I just googled for a bit and found some Actiontech router that doesn't support 802.11n - don't know which model you have though. So it's not the problem that apple doesn't follow a standard, it's more that your router doesn't support the 802.11n standard

I have the dsl gateway from actiontec
    I have been reading the forums and this is a widespread issue not poecific to any type of router.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showth...hlight=macbook

In the end I had to add WEP security to my actiontec router and then use a $ infrom of the pass key. 4 hours on apple help line and I had to read it on a forum.

What a joke. The apple help people were nice enough but perhaps they shoudl be monitoring some of these forms.

I am giving this mac book a fair try. We'll see. I may be sending it back for a trusty ole PC. Never had odd issues like this with them.

Of course I recognize their may be some user error on my part, but isn;t that apple's claim to fame? User error is typcally the fault of XP or some PC hardware issue. Seems like mac has the same issue.

Well.. I don't know what to say except of I feel sorry for you. Already having a mac and thinking about sending it back. Whatever makes you happy. But don't be too slow. You only have a couple weeks or something like that...

In your case I don't see a mistake on Apples side with your problem here. First I don't know anybody who is not using Web security - there are too many War Driver out there. If ylou would have used it in the first place, it should have worked. Second of all: Every computer/system has it's problems. But OS X has so much less than M$ and it's so much fun to work with. But that's just my opinion

Airport - Self assigned IP problem - RESOLVED!!
    My home networking setup:
    Cable modem - RCA
    Linksys Wireless router - WTR55AG
    MacBook Pro

I had to upgrade the firmware for my Linksys router from ver 1.67 to ver 1.79 and change the security protocol from WEP to WPA.

Entered the newly set security pass-phrase for WPA in my Airport settings for my profile and I was connected to internet.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information