New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

New Mac Book Pro not connecting to my wireless network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jbeals

jbeals is on a distinguished road

I am having issues with my new mac book pro connecting to my network. I just purchased it and it came with the 802.11n airport card. The card recognizes my network but it errors when I try to connect. I have no security on the network and I get the "error joining the airport network".

I have spent about 4 hrs with apple support and they have done everything from rebuilding the system configuration folder. I have also re-installed OSX. Nothing seems to work.

They have tried just about everything.

I did test the airport card at the apple store and it works. I am also able to plug my ethernet cord directly into the mac book and the Actiontec DSL gateway and I can get on the Internet just fine.

Actiontec support has seen issues with the 802.11n airport cards not working with non-proppriatery (non-airport base stations) that are 802.11g & b. They believe that is the issue. I find it hard to believe that MAC woudl build a standard or card that follows a standard that woudl lock a user into a specific hardware.

Has anyone heard of this issue?
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeals View Post
I find it hard to believe that MAC woudl build a standard or card that follows a standard that woudl lock a user into a specific hardware.
I believe you mean Mac and not MAC. And actually Apple follows a standard, since IEEE 802.11 is the family and 802.11n is one of them.

I just googled for a bit and found some Actiontech router that doesn't support 802.11n - don't know which model you have though. So it's not the problem that apple doesn't follow a standard, it's more that your router doesn't support the 802.11n standard
QUOTE Thanks
jbeals

jbeals is on a distinguished road

I have been reading the forums and this is a widespread issue not poecific to any type of router.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showth...hlight=macbook

In the end I had to add WEP security to my actiontec router and then use a $ infrom of the pass key. 4 hours on apple help line and I had to read it on a forum.

What a joke. The apple help people were nice enough but perhaps they shoudl be monitoring some of these forms.

I am giving this mac book a fair try. We'll see. I may be sending it back for a trusty ole PC. Never had odd issues like this with them.

Of course I recognize their may be some user error on my part, but isn;t that apple's claim to fame? User error is typcally the fault of XP or some PC hardware issue. Seems like mac has the same issue.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Well.. I don't know what to say except of I feel sorry for you. Already having a mac and thinking about sending it back. Whatever makes you happy. But don't be too slow. You only have a couple weeks or something like that...

In your case I don't see a mistake on Apples side with your problem here. First I don't know anybody who is not using Web security - there are too many War Driver out there. If ylou would have used it in the first place, it should have worked. Second of all: Every computer/system has it's problems. But OS X has so much less than M$ and it's so much fun to work with. But that's just my opinion
QUOTE Thanks
abhimac

abhimac is on a distinguished road

My home networking setup:
Cable modem - RCA
Linksys Wireless router - WTR55AG
MacBook Pro

I had to upgrade the firmware for my Linksys router from ver 1.67 to ver 1.79 and change the security protocol from WEP to WPA.

Entered the newly set security pass-phrase for WPA in my Airport settings for my profile and I was connected to internet.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yellow Static Light Next to Airport | Snow Leopard Network drops out, DNS? »