New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Transferring files from PC to my new macbook. PLEASE HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Justincredible

Justincredible is an unknown at this point

I need to transfer my data, movie files, etc from my pc to my mac. I ran out of DVD's to burn my stuff and transfer it to my mac. Plus, its tedious to do it. Please advise. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

If you have a network setup in your house you could transfer the files that way. This is usually done wirelessly, but if you dont have a wireless connection and are just using a wired router this should still work fine. This link will show you everything you need to know to get your computers to share files, ive had luck with this and a lot of people on the forums have had luck with it as well so I know it works.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html

also, there is a lot of good info on that page for other things mac you might want to check out when you have time. http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/
QUOTE Thanks
jaynorris

jaynorris is on a distinguished road

To add you can use a stright ethernet cable and connect the mac to pc. The port on Mac is autosensing and will make the crossover connection for you - that means you do not need a crossover cable or patch cable to do this, just a stright Cat5/e cable. You'll need to setup some shares and move them over the wire, which is what the fore mention info states.
QUOTE Thanks
dyinginavan

dyinginavan will become famous soon enough

You can use your iPod! I did it last week, took me about 30 minutes to transfer everything. Easy peasy, because I had to deete/restore my iPod to format it for the Mac anyway. And so long as you copy over your music folder and re-import, you won't have a problem. :-)

-Donna.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport acting weird | Strange thing with my Airport »