New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Connect to OSX from Vista question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

INNOVA

INNOVA is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2ghz Core 2 Duo Imac 1GB ram Superdrive

When I was trying to connect Mac from my PC (Vista Home Premium),
Vista always refused my correct user name and passoword. The
problem is the "group policy" function is not available on Vista Home
Premium edition, so how can I adjust "LAN Manager authentication
levels" to get my PC and Mac connected?

Core 2 Duo Imac
QUOTE Thanks
ThePaintballGuy

ThePaintballGuy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP 2.33Ghz, 3GB RAM, FinalCutStudio2

I am also having this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Josh

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you try typing at the RUN prompt secpol.msc. ??

If you can not get there in Home Premium, Microsoft dropped the ball. I had the same connection issues with RC2 Ultimate and changing one setting there fixed it.

Also read this thread VERY CAREFULLY. They suggest another way toward the bottom with a change to Samba in OSX which makes more sense.

What they are doing in vista is sending an NTLMv2 response only instead of sending both LM & NTLM.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Also read this thread VERY CAREFULLY. They suggest another way toward the bottom with a change to Samba in OSX which makes more sense.

What they are doing in vista is sending an NTLMv2 response only instead of sending both LM & NTLM.
Do you have a link for this thread at all?

I am going to have Vista on one of my machines soon... (don't hate me people ) so would be interested to know of any problems/sollutions so that I am ready to go when it gets here.

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Do you have a link for this thread at all?

I am going to have Vista on one of my machines soon... (don't hate me people ) so would be interested to know of any problems/sollutions so that I am ready to go when it gets here.

Dave
OPPS, Somehow I forgot to post the URL! Me bad!

Here is the one I found a while back.
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=354132

Here is another about Linux with the same info.
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
OPPS, Somehow I forgot to post the URL! Me bad!

Here is the one I found a while back.
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=354132

Here is another about Linux with the same info.
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html
Thanks for your links - Couldn't get either to work though - SMB.conf - changes made there seemed to have little affect - although I don't know maybe those changes did eventually help me resolve this.

I couldn't launch secpol.msc - doesn't appear to be with Home premium - or am I mistaken there?

Anyway - this fixed the problem for me:

In regedit:
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Control\Lsa
In the right pane, right-click the "LmCompatibilityLevel" key and select "modify"
Change the value from 3 to 1

I now click on Start>Run and type \\NameOfMacBook and press ENTER this allows me to browse my MacBook just as I used to be able to do with Win XP.

Anyway, thought I'd share the tip.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Thanks for your links - Couldn't get either to work though - SMB.conf - changes made there seemed to have little affect - although I don't know maybe those changes did eventually help me resolve this.

I couldn't launch secpol.msc - doesn't appear to be with Home premium - or am I mistaken there?

Anyway - this fixed the problem for me:

In regedit:
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Control\Lsa
In the right pane, right-click the "LmCompatibilityLevel" key and select "modify"
Change the value from 3 to 1

I now click on Start>Run and type \\NameOfMacBook and press ENTER this allows me to browse my MacBook just as I used to be able to do with Win XP.

Anyway, thought I'd share the tip.
Great job. Glad you did share this for people with lesser versions of Vista. I was guessing that maybe the security policy part may not be available in Home. Glad you found the back door in the registry.
Again thanks for sharing and great job!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which Router? | airport extreme or netgear? »