New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

A Few (more) questions...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RawfodoG

RawfodoG is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram

So far the wireless on my MB has been nothing short of amazing! Trumps my old laptop by miles!

Question 1:
There happens to be a place in my house (my basement) that recieves very low to no wireless, which is to be expected as it is underground, surrounded by cement, and two floors below my wireless router...
anyways, there happens to be an ethernet cable for that exact purpose. But being the newb i am, I cant figure out how to get it to work. I turn off the wireless and I get nothing, and if I leave it on, I get a very low signal that makes web browsing almost impossible....
Its on the same network as the wireless.

Question 2:
I finally got around to installing XP via bootcamp (thru necessity...) but again I am having trouble with the network. It doesnt seem to recognize the wireless card, and doesnt see the ethernet cable either.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

how long is that ethernet cable? you might just be to far from the routher...

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I've got ethernet cables running from the basement to the attic in my house with no problems.

You should be able to turn off the Airport on your MacBook and just plug in the ethernet cable. Go to System Preferences -> Network. And you should see the Ethernet Connection as active

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
RawfodoG

RawfodoG is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram

figured out the ethernet cable. Silly me.

So any ideas about XP pro??
QUOTE Thanks
jaynorris

jaynorris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawfodoG View Post
figured out the ethernet cable. Silly me.

So any ideas about XP pro??
Did you use the installation disk you created to patch the device manager in XP Pro? Are you using an Airport Extreme base station? If so I had to use the installation CD just to get connectivity... odd I know, but it worked.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help trying to setup a Network Camera w/ Evocam | Comcast Internet, wireless network with Airport Extreme and Airport Express(es) »