New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

SUPER slow internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

desrosiers13

desrosiers13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW

ok, i have a macbook pro and the internet couldnt be slower. We have high speed ethernet and wireless and i feel dial-up would fit me better! im so upset. We have a Belkin Router and there are 4 computers with ethernet on it. They are all running Windows and its running super fast. Here i am with OSX and its super slow. I am the only one who experiences this. It took 22 seconds to load amazon.com and even just to get to my home page. I have tried the wireless and the ethernet. Both are terrible. I dont know what else to do. It downloads items extremely fast, but trying to just surf the web...forget about it. I use my parents XP computer. I went so www.speedtest.net and here were my results.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/125776949.png

Incase that does not work, my results were:
Download: 4324 kb/s
Upload: 284 kb/s

PLEASE, any help would be awesome! i dont know to much about wireless so im not sure what to do. heres the model of my Router aswell. Its not really that great, my brother just came home with it one day.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Wireles...9101310&sr=8-1

Thanks again!
-dave
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Your speed looks fine, although you didn't give us a comparison from your wired computers. And if your downloads are coming through fine would suggest it is probably the browser that is having an issue.

What browser are you using (Safari?) - have you tried a different one (Firefox or Opera?)

Would suggest emptying the cache in which ever browser it is you are using.
Safari - Empty Cache
Firefox - Clear Private Data
Opera - Delete Private Data

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed completely with bobtomay. Also give Camino a try. It's super fast here on my DSL with about the same throuput as your Broadband.
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW

thankyou so much. i had camino this whole time, forgot about it. it seems to be a bit faster than safari. Maybe ill try firefox. I do empty my cash daily. The results from the wired XP computer were very similar to mine. Stil in the 200's for upload. So im not really sure why it is so slow. il let you know. thanks
-dave
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Upload is always a lot slower than download with most Broadband. You can get faster uploads if you pay a lot but for the little I use Uploading the 500+ kbps I get here is fine.
QUOTE Thanks
jaynorris

jaynorris is on a distinguished road

Ugh, 4324 kb/s translates roughtly into 500KB - thats fine for a download speed?

You also might want to check your DNS or Gateway entry. Make sure you're using the right gateway... Not sure if you're using DHCP or Static, but either way check these settings. If you're using DHCP, you might just want to assign a static IP just so you know you're connecting to the router with absolute settings.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I was talking about UPLOAD and not Download. 4000k is more than most DSL that I have used gives.

What speed are you getting with your Broadband? DSL here in Calif rarely goes any faster than what he is seeing unless you pay a LOT of $$$ a month.
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

That internet is not slow! The DSL I have in around 1500kbps download and 350 upload.

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3GZW View Post
That internet is not slow! The DSL I have in around 1500kbps download and 350 upload.
exactly. There is nothing wrong with his internet speed.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynorris View Post
Ugh, 4324 kb/s translates roughtly into 500KB - thats fine for a download speed?
Yes, that is fine.
1 Kilobyte (KB) = 8 Kilobits (Kb)
1 Megabyte (MB) = 1024 Kilobytes

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

ok, the numbers may read fast, but actually sitting here and it taking 5-10 minutes to check a simple email should not be. Physically seeing how slow this actually goes is what im speeking of. My brother saw it today and was also amazed at its slowness. I dont understand it. I was at someone apartment the other day and the internet was zooming, it only seems to be slow here at my house.

Under ethernet and airport it shows i am using DHCP. I dont know how to set up a static IP address nore do i see the option to use that. I am more than willing to learn and try whatever may fixit. So i thank anyone who has given me advice, and im not just looking to hear..."the connection is fine" im just looking for answers. So thankyou everyone
Also, how do i check the Gateway settings? Like i said before, i dont really know that much about wireless or setting up routers. I can do anything but.
-dave
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well what part takes long?

Actually contacting the site or the individual pieces that load?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

The reason I said what I did about your internet connection speed is the one poster telling you your speed is slow. It's not. And you say other machines at your place do not act like that. Did you try all the other browsers? Any improvement? If not trying to think of what maybe going on.

Also what Email do you use? Web based or POP3 based. If POP based you using Mail to get the messages? Who is the email provider?
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

sorry, number 1. my apologies. I misunderstood.

I tried the other browsers and its all the same.

Alot of it is contacting the site. Also, loading all the individual images and and text takes a bit to. Some pages happen to fly and others like amazon, newegg, yahoo, google, all of those seem to take forever to contact and load. I wish i could be more technical with my responses like with system prefs and all of that.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrosiers13 View Post
sorry, number 1. my apologies. I misunderstood.

I tried the other browsers and its all the same.

Alot of it is contacting the site. Also, loading all the individual images and and text takes a bit to. Some pages happen to fly and others like amazon, newegg, yahoo, google, all of those seem to take forever to contact and load. I wish i could be more technical with my responses like with system prefs and all of that.
Strange. Those sites here are very fast. I added another question to my other post so re-read it and let me know. Hope we can help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport extreme - round 1 | Extreme killed Express »