New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Macbook - Macbook doesnt recognize ethernet port?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AGray34

AGray34 is on a distinguished road

My MacBook quit recognizing that I have an ethernet port. If I plug in a cable, it does nothing. If I open network preferences, it just lists my Airport and my VPN connection. If I select "show built-in ethernet" it still does not work properly and will not display any informaton. Help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Have you tried plugging it into another network to make sure it's definitely the adapter in your MacBook and not the network? Did you try a different ethernet cable?

When you say you select "show built-in Ethernet" and "it still does not work properly" exactly what are you seeing? If you see an Ethernet ID, that means your card is most likely okay and your network (hardware) connection is bad.

You may also want to check the pins inside the ethernet jack on the MacBook to make sure none of them are bent or broken.
QUOTE Thanks
kellmonstr

kellmonstr is on a distinguished road

i had this problem a few months ago. They told me it was because I always left it sitting on my bed and it made the port kind of screwey...but yeah when my ethernet port didnt work...my airport did.

My advice to you is to either get a wireless router, or take it back to the store and they will easily replace the part for you.
QUOTE Thanks
AGray34

AGray34 is on a distinguished road

The problem occurs on any type of network I plug it into. When I go to the "show built-in ethernet" it shows the settings, but wont show it pulling an IP address. Also if I force a renew it wont work.

My MacBook was also never left on a bed, it is 99.9% of the time on a cooling station
QUOTE Thanks
dsm198

dsm198 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" PowerBook, White MacBook, 17" iMac

I bought a MacBook a few days ago and I had the same problem with the Ethernet connection. Airport works fine but the in Network Utilities the link status says "Inactive" when i plug the cable in. I tried changing the cable but it works on my PowerBook and the iMac. So i figured it was a software issue. I erased and reinstalled Tiger with no luck. Yesterday, I took it back to the store and they gave me a brand new one. Took the 2nd brand new one out of the box and guess what.. no Ethernet connection!??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airtunes?? | New to forums..need help »