New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

cannot connect to network with wpa/wep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tyros8000

tyros8000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 ghz Macbook

Hi,

I recently purchased my first mac (a macbook) and i am super pleased with it.

i have managed to get everything working apart from two things.

I cannot connect to my home network with wpa or wep protection. if it is open i can connect fine (only on the one i have tried, doesn't work with my other home network and wpa/wep doesn't work with either).

If i connect open everything is fine, i can file share with my windows computer and use the internet. but i cannot setup my printer which runs through a windows pc.

the windows computer is called redfern and the printer is called printer2 so would the location be \\REDFERN\Printer2??

Any help with the printer or getting encryption on the macbook working would be appreciated.

dave
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyros8000 View Post
Hi,

I recently purchased my first mac (a macbook) and i am super pleased with it.

i have managed to get everything working apart from two things.

I cannot connect to my home network with wpa or wep protection. if it is open i can connect fine (only on the one i have tried, doesn't work with my other home network and wpa/wep doesn't work with either).

If i connect open everything is fine, i can file share with my windows computer and use the internet. but i cannot setup my printer which runs through a windows pc.

the windows computer is called redfern and the printer is called printer2 so would the location be \\REDFERN\Printer2??

Any help with the printer or getting encryption on the macbook working would be appreciated.

dave
You've got a couple of different problems there that I'd like to keep separate for right now. The one I'd like to focus on is the problem connecting to your wireless network when security (encryption) is turned on.

First off, let's forget about WEP. It's pretty much useless these days because it's easily cracked. To make matters worse, "passphrases" that some routers generate in place of the actual 26-digit key are proprietary and troubleshooting these problems can be very confusing.

So, to start troubleshooting, let's do the following:

1. Update your router's firmware to the latest version.
2. Update your Mac to the latest version by running Software Updates from the Apple menu.
3. Reset your modem to factory defaults (be sure you are comfortable with configuring your router before you do this). This is typically done by pressing and holding the reset button on the back of the unit for 30 seconds after plugging the power in.

Once the router is back up and configured to work with your modem, connect to it without security. Go into the configuration page and make sure that:

1. SSID broadcast is ENABLED.
2. Use a tool like AirPort Radar to ensure that your channel is set differently then any neighboring wireless networks.
3. Now, turn on WPA/PSK security and set a password.
4. Your Mac will likely become disconnected once this change is made. Click the wireless control icon (looks like a fan up by the clock), find your network name in the list and connect to it. You should be prompted for a password, be sure to use the same password that you set on your router.

If everything went well, you should now be connected using WPA security. If you have other machines on your wireless network, you will need to reconnect them and enter that same password for those machines.

Let us know how this works out - and if you have any problems/questions/concerns about any of the steps. Thanks.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

All very good advice.
I'd just like to add one thing. When I first installed my wireless router I managed to mess up the wpa code ..Let me explain. In the code I had "l" which I took for a small L but it was a large "I" and also "O" and "0" can be confusing so check the code carefully
QUOTE Thanks
tyros8000

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried two different routers for this and followed the instructions above. The mac finds the wifi and reconises has wpa, asks me for it. i type it in.

If it is incorrect it pops up saying password wrong bla bla bla

But if the password is correct it says "There was na error joining the AirPort network "NETWORK NAME"."

It has had the same error on wpa, wep and both routers of different brands.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried two different routers for this and followed the instructions above. The mac finds the wifi and reconises has wpa, asks me for it. i type it in.

If it is incorrect it pops up saying password wrong bla bla bla

But if the password is correct it says "There was na error joining the AirPort network "NETWORK NAME"."

It has had the same error on wpa, wep and both routers of different brands.
Are you using WPA/PSK or WPA/TKIP?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
tyros8000

I honestly don't know, it just says WPA.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What is the Brand and Model of your main router?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What is the Brand and Model of your main router?
Good question - that should help immensely.

QUOTE Thanks
tyros8000

actually i am not sure it will lol.

My one router is a median (they only ever did one and normally median use other peoples hardware).

my other is a orange livebox which is what comes with my internet - www.orange.co.uk

so suppose this doesn't help since they are not well known brands.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
actually i am not sure it will lol.

My one router is a median (they only ever did one and normally median use other peoples hardware).

my other is a orange livebox which is what comes with my internet - www.orange.co.uk

so suppose this doesn't help since they are not well known brands.
Oy.... you're not kidding. Could you find anything more obscure?

QUOTE Thanks
tyros8000

on the one router when i login it has inventel in the title bar - http://www.inventel.com/en/product/

on the other (median one) it looks like complete custom software.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
on the one router when i login it has inventel in the title bar - http://www.inventel.com/en/product/

on the other (median one) it looks like complete custom software.
Interesting. One thought that I had regarding the WPA password that you set on the router. I do believe that password is case sensitive. It might seem silly, but are you entering the password on your Mac using the same case?

QUOTE Thanks
tyros8000

yes i am, i will try and play with the settings more later on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet printing | Weird Problem »