Specs:
    2.0 ghz Macbook
    cannot connect to network with wpa/wep
    Hi,

I recently purchased my first mac (a macbook) and i am super pleased with it.

i have managed to get everything working apart from two things.

I cannot connect to my home network with wpa or wep protection. if it is open i can connect fine (only on the one i have tried, doesn't work with my other home network and wpa/wep doesn't work with either).

If i connect open everything is fine, i can file share with my windows computer and use the internet. but i cannot setup my printer which runs through a windows pc.

the windows computer is called redfern and the printer is called printer2 so would the location be \\REDFERN\Printer2??

Any help with the printer or getting encryption on the macbook working would be appreciated.

dave

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by tyros8000 View Post
    Hi,

I recently purchased my first mac (a macbook) and i am super pleased with it.

i have managed to get everything working apart from two things.

I cannot connect to my home network with wpa or wep protection. if it is open i can connect fine (only on the one i have tried, doesn't work with my other home network and wpa/wep doesn't work with either).

If i connect open everything is fine, i can file share with my windows computer and use the internet. but i cannot setup my printer which runs through a windows pc.

the windows computer is called redfern and the printer is called printer2 so would the location be \\REDFERN\Printer2??

Any help with the printer or getting encryption on the macbook working would be appreciated.

dave
    You've got a couple of different problems there that I'd like to keep separate for right now. The one I'd like to focus on is the problem connecting to your wireless network when security (encryption) is turned on.

First off, let's forget about WEP. It's pretty much useless these days because it's easily cracked. To make matters worse, "passphrases" that some routers generate in place of the actual 26-digit key are proprietary and troubleshooting these problems can be very confusing.

So, to start troubleshooting, let's do the following:

1. Update your router's firmware to the latest version.
    2. Update your Mac to the latest version by running Software Updates from the Apple menu.
    3. Reset your modem to factory defaults (be sure you are comfortable with configuring your router before you do this). This is typically done by pressing and holding the reset button on the back of the unit for 30 seconds after plugging the power in.

Once the router is back up and configured to work with your modem, connect to it without security. Go into the configuration page and make sure that:

1. SSID broadcast is ENABLED.
    2. Use a tool like AirPort Radar to ensure that your channel is set differently then any neighboring wireless networks.
    3. Now, turn on WPA/PSK security and set a password.
    4. Your Mac will likely become disconnected once this change is made. Click the wireless control icon (looks like a fan up by the clock), find your network name in the list and connect to it. You should be prompted for a password, be sure to use the same password that you set on your router.

If everything went well, you should now be connected using WPA security. If you have other machines on your wireless network, you will need to reconnect them and enter that same password for those machines.

Let us know how this works out - and if you have any problems/questions/concerns about any of the steps. Thanks.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
    All very good advice.
    I'd just like to add one thing. When I first installed my wireless router I managed to mess up the wpa code ..Let me explain. In the code I had "l" which I took for a small L but it was a large "I" and also "O" and "0" can be confusing so check the code carefully

Specs:
    2.0 ghz Macbook
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried two different routers for this and followed the instructions above. The mac finds the wifi and reconises has wpa, asks me for it. i type it in.

If it is incorrect it pops up saying password wrong bla bla bla

But if the password is correct it says "There was na error joining the AirPort network "NETWORK NAME"."

It has had the same error on wpa, wep and both routers of different brands.

Specs:
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried two different routers for this and followed the instructions above. The mac finds the wifi and reconises has wpa, asks me for it. i type it in.

If it is incorrect it pops up saying password wrong bla bla bla

But if the password is correct it says "There was na error joining the AirPort network "NETWORK NAME"."

It has had the same error on wpa, wep and both routers of different brands.
    Are you using WPA/PSK or WPA/TKIP?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    2.0 ghz Macbook
    I honestly don't know, it just says WPA.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    What is the Brand and Model of your main router?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    What is the Brand and Model of your main router?
    Good question - that should help immensely.

Specs:
    2.0 ghz Macbook
    actually i am not sure it will lol.

My one router is a median (they only ever did one and normally median use other peoples hardware).

my other is a orange livebox which is what comes with my internet - www.orange.co.uk

so suppose this doesn't help since they are not well known brands.

Specs:
    actually i am not sure it will lol.

My one router is a median (they only ever did one and normally median use other peoples hardware).

my other is a orange livebox which is what comes with my internet - www.orange.co.uk

so suppose this doesn't help since they are not well known brands.
    Oy.... you're not kidding. Could you find anything more obscure?

Specs:
    2.0 ghz Macbook
    on the one router when i login it has inventel in the title bar - http://www.inventel.com/en/product/

on the other (median one) it looks like complete custom software.

Specs:
    on the one router when i login it has inventel in the title bar - http://www.inventel.com/en/product/

on the other (median one) it looks like complete custom software.
    Interesting. One thought that I had regarding the WPA password that you set on the router. I do believe that password is case sensitive. It might seem silly, but are you entering the password on your Mac using the same case?

Specs:
    2.0 ghz Macbook
    yes i am, i will try and play with the settings more later on.

Thread Information