PC - iMac on a Network - Can't get Username/Password right
    Hopefully, this is a realy easy one.

Got my PC and iMac connected via my Router, and from either machine, I can see both machines.

From the iMac, I can access the shared folders on my PC. (It just works!)

However, when I try to view the shared folders on my iMac from my PC, I get a popup box asking for Username/Pasword.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get the right names to let me into the iMac.

I'm no networking expert, but I'm assuming I need to put into these boxes (on my windows PC) and names/passwords that I use on the iMac.

I've tried the only ones I use and still it won't let me into the iMac, just says I'm using the wrong details.

Now, to be honest, this is at home, and I don't want ANY security at all.

Can anyone point me to where I can view (on the iMac) the details I need to type into the PC when asked, or where on the iMac, I can tell it to turn OFF the security for file sharing?

I'm using OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Many thanks.

I had this same problem and just gave up. Granted, I didn't ask for help either, so I'll be interested to know what to do.

i have that problem too

I have the reverse problem. XP Home PC can see the Mac but the Mac won't let me get to the PC without a username/password and I don't have one on the PC. How do you rectify that? Using Mac Leopard. JS

Talking Your Ready Solution
    ANSWER: In Leopard all you have to do is go to SYstems Preferences-Sharing-Options and checkmark: Share files and folders using SMB, pick a password. And that's all folks. Enjoy your sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Hopefully, this is a realy easy one.

Got my PC and iMac connected via my Router, and from either machine, I can see both machines.

From the iMac, I can access the shared folders on my PC. (It just works!)

However, when I try to view the shared folders on my iMac from my PC, I get a popup box asking for Username/Pasword.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get the right names to let me into the iMac.

I'm no networking expert, but I'm assuming I need to put into these boxes (on my windows PC) and names/passwords that I use on the iMac.

I've tried the only ones I use and still it won't let me into the iMac, just says I'm using the wrong details.

Now, to be honest, this is at home, and I don't want ANY security at all.

Can anyone point me to where I can view (on the iMac) the details I need to type into the PC when asked, or where on the iMac, I can tell it to turn OFF the security for file sharing?

I'm using OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Many thanks.

Your Ready Solution --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ANSWER: In Leopard all you have to do is go to Systems Preferences-Sharing-Options and checkmark: Share files and folders using SMB, pick a password. And that's all folks. Enjoy your sharing.

Thread Information