New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MAC vs PC Internet Speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oberdone

oberdone is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody,
I am new to macs (just got one two day ago!) and excuse me if I say silly things.
I got a mac book pro two days ago and was using my vaio laptop for two years now. I have a 4Mb connection with a router and so far I have been downloading stuff from the internet with speeds up to 440Kb/sec.
Since I have connected the mac onto the router, the speed has dropped a lot. Most I have got so far is 120Kb/sec and I am really worried for this.
There is not a problem with the internet connection / provider as far as I am concerned.
Do I do something wrong?
Can someone help me?

Thank you very much. I am looking forward for your answers!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I don't know how to help you but the Macbook Pro should have a gigabit ethernet connector 10/100/1000. It should be more than capable of handling high speed access.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

With a highspeed connection, download speeds typically have more to do with the server you're downloading from than anything on your end.

Try a speed test.
My MBP via wireless connection sittin' 75' from the router is:6586kb/s down and 481 up.
Meanwhile my desktop XP machine with a gigabit connection on current test is only:4921 and 464

Now I may have to go see what's wrong with my windows machine - naw - ain't used it in awhile anyway.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
tomdkat

tomdkat is on a distinguished road

I plugged my MBP directly to my airport extreme and I got 15,771 kb/s down and 1,892 kb/s up
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have found my Macs get the same speed doing a speed test as my PC's. All tested machines are hardwired to the router. I try to use the same browser as I have noticed a bit of difference that way but nothing major. All are exactly the same here.
QUOTE Thanks
fiveightandten

fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
With a highspeed connection, download speeds typically have more to do with the server you're downloading from than anything on your end.

Try a speed test.
My MBP via wireless connection sittin' 75' from the router is:6586kb/s down and 481 up.
Meanwhile my desktop XP machine with a gigabit connection on current test is only:4921 and 464

Now I may have to go see what's wrong with my windows machine - naw - ain't used it in awhile anyway.
Neat site.

My speeds are a lot slower than yours in comparison:

-G4 Mini 1320kb/s down, 320kb/s up. This is wireless with a Belkin Wireless g router about 45-50 feet away.

-Dell Dimension 1317kb/s down, 321kb/s up. This is with the Dell plugged directly into the router with a 3' cable.

I have SBC DSL service.

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
oberdone

oberdone is on a distinguished road

thanx people. I run some tests and seems fine. although, it seems to be still slow compared to what I used to have with the pc. Anyway, I guess it is the provider's problem so should be sorted out soon!

thanx for your help!
\
QUOTE Thanks
aekdb266

aekdb266 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I'm also a Mac newbie, but above average with computers. I have a two month old MBP and love it. However, the usable internet speeds are slow. The speed tests come back with 800k down and 128 up, which is the limit for our Time Warner package (it's not fast, but it's cheap). However, when we use hulu.com for TV or movies, it breaks up and buffers significantly.

Is there a way to watch the actual internet speeds received in real time? Windows can do it with a control panel app. How is the same thing done on a Mac? I'd rather not pay for the next higher speed, but want to diagnose the real problem.

Thanks for your help and Macs do rock.

Alan
QUOTE Thanks
bk4348

bk4348 is on a distinguished road

I'd good results by raising 'recvspace','sendspace' to 261144 and 'rfc1323' to 1.
Before my XP(bootcamp) was much more faster than MAC OSX, especially in download.
But it seems that this is not true for all types of internet connections
QUOTE Thanks
chandirika

chandirika is on a distinguished road

Hi,for PC internet speed checking use this IP-Details.com : Find your IP address Information site ,here only I got successfully internet speed ,here after you may compare with mac,It is free site.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberdone View Post
thanx people. I run some tests and seems fine. although, it seems to be still slow compared to what I used to have with the pc. Anyway, I guess it is the provider's problem so should be sorted out soon!

thanx for your help!
\
There is ONE thing that could be making a significant difference. Flash.

Adobe has never brought Flash for the Mac up to the standards of Flash for the PC, for reasons that are very unclear. Indeed, its said that the Mac version of Flash is actually running a mini-PC emulator within the package, which would explain why Flash on the Mac needs extra resources.

Considering that is it the Mac customers who made Adobe into the company it is today, this seem bass-ackwards to us.

Hopefully the increasing pressure from Apple and others moving to HTML5 for certain kinds of delivery will force Adobe to get off their duff and do the right thing (or be replaced with something not requiring a proprietary plugin).
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Hopefully the increasing pressure from Apple and others moving to HTML5 for certain kinds of delivery will force Adobe to get off their duff and do the right thing (or be replaced with something not requiring a proprietary plugin).
Apparently, Adobe has learned nothing in the past two years... As you may already know, the iPad does not support Flash. That tells the story. As for HTML5, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

8.6MBPs down
.94MBPs up
84ms ping.

About 30 feet from my AEBS and have TWC's Road Runner.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SonicWALL blocking random sites. | USB External over wireless »