New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Rather alarming Security Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac G4 800Mhz, 256Mbs RAM, 8x CD burner

So I brought 2 iMacs home from school the other day, and I set them up as I needed to use DVD Studio Pro and burn 12 different DVDs (6 of each project). I noticed something rather alarming when I went to connect them to my wireless network protected by WPA or w/e. The iMacs simply connected to it no problem, no password/username asked, completely bypassed all security protocols on my router and connected to the net. :closed:

Is this normal? I don't want to see some guy randomly jacking into my wireless network with his Mac, especially since then I wouldn't be able to stop him from accessing my main home server system and start grabbing things off of it, adding things, deleting,...

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Either:

- Your WPA had no password protection
- Your Macs had the password already in their keychain
- Your Macs didn't actually connect to the router you think, but another unprotected wireless network

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
DarkLord7854

It has password protection, all the other comps require me to type it in, I've never used the iMacs on my network, and they were connected to my network =\
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854 View Post
It has password protection, all the other comps require me to type it in, I've never used the iMacs on my network, and they were connected to my network =\

Well this is a first, you should contact Apple and let them know Macs automatically crack 128-bit encryption.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
DarkLord7854

I tried it again tonight, and for some reason they can't connect anymore O.o

I was using TKIP last time
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Just my 2 cents.

I just got a a MacBook and I setup a new wireless network for my house, and the whole thing works great, and the Macbook asked me for the password for my wep key and then it just saved it in the key chain so I don't have to type it anymore.

QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
Just my 2 cents.

I just got a a MacBook and I setup a new wireless network for my house, and the whole thing works great, and the Macbook asked me for the password for my wep key and then it just saved it in the key chain so I don't have to type it anymore.

I recommend that you change to WPA. It is more secure.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I have never ever seen this happen and trust me, I have tried also. I am VERY into networking and security and take it very seriously and try everything to see if there is any way to get into the networks I set up. I have many Macs with WiFi and PC's also. NONE will ever get Internet with WEP, WPA and WPA2 on the router. Something is wrong. I still think that Zoolook is right in his post.

I have seen PC's get on but if you try to go to a page or anywhere on the network, nothing will happen. Your comment about being on the Net does not makes sense if all is set up right in your router with WPA or WPA2.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme vs 3rd party Wireless g router | mac newb »