New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

OS 10.4 - IP addresses of other local machines.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

saket.logins

saket.logins is on a distinguished road

Finally moved from windows to mac for my work computer and simply love it.
Am trying to find some windows equivalent applications for mac and was hoping that a mac veteran could help me.
I do a lot of networking with windows based computer and I was wondering if we have an application on mac via which I can find ip's of all computers along with names, on the same local network.
QUOTE Thanks
CreativeGuy

CreativeGuy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4

Network Utility in your Applications/Utility folder might do the trick... but I'm not a networking guru.

Names should show up in the Network item at the root level of the HD. Clicking on shares in the list should either connect you, or at the very least show you the IP address.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, it's really not my area of expertise.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

you could try IP Chicken....but his way sounds much easier

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
jaynorris

jaynorris is on a distinguished road

You're looking for IP Scanner for Mac. There is one, but it does require a key.

Here is the URL: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Network...-Scanner.shtml

Btw all, he's looking for IP's on his network - not 127.0.0.1 !

-Jay
QUOTE Thanks
pete tridish

pete tridish is on a distinguished road

has any one heard of any other way to do this? i can't bring myself to spend $30 just to poke around a network i am on and find the addresses of the other machines. there isn't some simple thing you can do in terminal?

this does not seem like it should be a complicated problem... if i were some kind of linux hacker im sure this would take like 2 commands and 3 seconds to do...

thanks,
pete tridish
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow or not loading certain websites | How Configure Airport Express for VPN Internet Sharing »