New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport.........Unreliable???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drpepper99uk

Drpepper99uk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.

Hello,

I have been a iMac user for just over 3 months now, and the whole experience of using the Mac has been great apart from one thing. The built in airport has been a somewhat headache for me at times as it often slows my connection, or like now looses my wireless connection altogether meaning that I have to rely on my good old ethernet cable just to get me back online to be able to post on here to see if any of your guys can help at all.

I was happily surfing away, when my connection suddenly timed out and then wouldn't let me access any sites at all. The situation is now airport won't find my router at all(even though it's set to be discovered in the setting on the Belkin setup site)

I have tried various configurations in the internet setup feature in OS X, but nothing seems to work, nor will it still find my router at all. I didn't change anything previously, nor did I fiddle with any settings before this happened, so what's happened??? I've seen countless posts from other people on here complaining about the airport hardware that's built in the iMac etc in some form or another....makes me wonder if it's worth using it at all and just sticking to using a seperate USB router dongle instead.....for peace of mind if anything.

Other than that(believe it or not) I'm very happy with my new iMac 20" :-)

Michael.
QUOTE Thanks
Drpepper99uk

Hello,

UPDATE: Well it now appears that my airport is working fine. I think my router may be the cause of the problems as it's not being found by my iMac at all, however it's finding other networks just fine. What would cause a router to suddenly stop working via wireless but not ethernet?

Michael.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What router do you own? Brand and Model. Maybe the router went nuts. Did you try unplugging it and then plugging it back in? Some routers tend to mess up from time to time. My friends Dlink did that and just on the WiFi.
QUOTE Thanks
Drpepper99uk

Hello,

It's a Belkin F5D7632 ADSL router if that helps at all. I've tried everything from resetting it via the login page(192.168.2.1) to the reset button on the back of the router itself, along with resetting it back to factory defaults.

I think I might save myself the hassle and get a new router, I've been reading on here about all the different one's that are Mac compatible....what router to go for is confusing as I've read so many conflicting reviews. I'm looking for something that's reliable and fast(108MPS) D-Link, Belkin, Netgear seem to be popular.

Michael.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpepper99uk View Post
Hello,

It's a Belkin F5D7632 ADSL router if that helps at all. I've tried everything from resetting it via the login page(192.168.2.1) to the reset button on the back of the router itself, along with resetting it back to factory defaults.

I think I might save myself the hassle and get a new router, I've been reading on here about all the different one's that are Mac compatible....what router to go for is confusing as I've read so many conflicting reviews. I'm looking for something that's reliable and fast(108MPS) D-Link, Belkin, Netgear seem to be popular.

Michael.
Try three things. One, change the channel setting, there is a chance something is interferring. Secondly, on most Belkin routers, there is a setting called Protect Mode, which stops interferrence, although it does slightly slow down your connection speed (you'll hardly notice if you have broadband - I have mine on and play Xbox Live with latency as low as 15 msec). Finally, under LAN settings, you'll see something saying Lease Time. Everytime this times out, your IP address is renewed and although many people will argue this point, Macs seem to be sensitive to this. Change it from whatever it is, to 'Forever'. This basically means your Mac can keep its IP address static and retains the same connection. You lose nothing by doing this.

Oh, I recommend WPA-PSK / TKIP encryption on a Belkin - for me just seems to work best.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wired vs wireless- how does the mac decide? | Vodafone 3g broadband »