New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wired vs wireless- how does the mac decide?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Digger

Digger is on a distinguished road

I currently have our macbook plugged into cable modem. at the same time, we're getting a full signal from our neighbor's wi-fi connection.

does the mac assume the ethernet connection is the primary one?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
I currently have our macbook plugged into cable modem. at the same time, we're getting a full signal from our neighbor's wi-fi connection.

It depends on the order in which you've connected to a network. Whichever network it obtained an IP address from first would take precedence. If you didn't intentionally connect to your neighbor's network, you're not using it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Just to simplify things, I turn off my AirPort card.
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It depends on the order in which you've connected to a network. Whichever network it obtained an IP address from first would take precedence. If you didn't intentionally connect to your neighbor's network, you're not using it.
if I disconnect my ethernet cable, I can still surf wirelessly. it doesn't ask me to connect to any network.

I bought an airport extreme but am waiting on the delivery of my new imac before I set up my network.

this is what freaks me out a bit, how do I know if my mac is using my bandwidth or my neighbors?
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Technically what you are doing is illegal....silly of your neighbour for not have it protected.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if I disconnect my ethernet cable, I can still surf wirelessly. it doesn't ask me to connect to any network.

I bought an airport extreme but am waiting on the delivery of my new imac before I set up my network.

this is what freaks me out a bit, how do I know if my mac is using my bandwidth or my neighbors?
My experience has been that you have to click the wireless icon on the menu bar and then select the network you want to connect to - unless you had previously connected to a wireless network, it won't connect automatically. So, when you get your AirPort Extreme, simply choose it from the list. It won't connect to more than one wireless network at a time.

To disconnect from your neighbor's network without disabling the AirPort card, open System Preferences -> Network -> Choose AirPort from the Show: field. Delete the wireless network name for your neighbor, by highlighting it and clicking the minus button.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Just to simplify things, I turn off my AirPort card.
that was too ridiculously easy of an answer, done. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

Quote:
My experience has been that you have to click the wireless icon on the menu bar and then select the network you want to connect to - unless you had previously connected to a wireless network, it won't connect automatically. So, when you get your AirPort Extreme, simply choose it from the list. It won't connect to more than one wireless network at a time.

EDIT: Removed last sentence, incorrect.
I think what happened is that my neighbors network is named 'default'. when we first got the macbook and enabled the airport card we got the message that no trusted networks could be found. do you want to use default?

I may be wrong, but I can carry the macbook anywhere in the house and get a wireless signal without logging into any network, and the one listed is 'default'
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I think what happened is that my neighbors network is named 'default'. when we first got the macbook and enabled the airport card we got the message that no trusted networks could be found. do you want to use default?

I may be wrong, but I can carry the macbook anywhere in the house and get a wireless signal without logging into any network, and the one listed is 'default'
I would imagine that your neighbor unpacked his shiny new wireless router, did the rudimentary setup and once he got it working, never bothered to change the default network name or set up security. "Default" is a common default SSID (wireless network name).

There has been a lot of discussion about the legality or morality of leeching on a non-secured network whose signal bleeds over to your home, so I'm not going to get into that - but this type of scenario is unfortunately all too common. Let's hope that none of your other neighbors takes advantage of his ignorance.

QUOTE Thanks
Digger

Quote:
I would imagine that your neighbor unpacked his shiny new wireless router, did the rudimentary setup and once he got it working, never bothered to change the default network name or set up security. "Default" is a common default SSID (wireless network name).

There has been a lot of discussion about the legality or morality of leeching on a non-secured network whose signal bleeds over to your home, so I'm not going to get into that - but this type of scenario is unfortunately all too common. Let's hope that none of your other neighbors takes advantage of his ignorance.
that's what I was assuming and why I was asking. I don't want to get into a morality thing, but I'm keeping the macbook hardwired at this point.

when the imac comes, I'll bring out the extreme and do my best to protect my bandwidth.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

go into system preferences>network>in show tab select airport>you will then view all of your networks your airport tries to connect to, simply delete your neighbors connection and it wont automatically attempt to connect to that one.

i'd go drop by your neighbor and let him know his connection is open and that he should lock it up....the other houses in the area probably arent being so honest
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
go into system preferences>network>in show tab select airport>you will then view all of your networks your airport tries to connect to, simply delete your neighbors connection and it wont automatically attempt to connect to that one.

i'd go drop by your neighbor and let him know his connection is open and that he should lock it up....the other houses in the area probably arent being so honest
-chris
when I do that I'm showing totally different ip's and submasks.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:

if you dont want the mac to connect to your neighbours connection either turn off airport or going into prefs and check in the there set a default connection.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
when I do that I'm showing totally different ip's and submasks.
That's right, you'll have one IP that your AirPort got from your neighbors router, and one IP, and if you switch the Show: field, to Bult-in Ethernet, you'll see the IP for your hard wired connection. But we're not really concerned with that at the moment. What you need to do is switch the Show: field to AirPort. You'll see a list of wireless networks (most likely only one with show called "Default"), then click the minus sign to remove the network from your list, thereby disconnecting from your neighbor's wireless connection.

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

If you open system prefs, and click network you get a list of network connection types. Airport, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Firewire, etc. The order they are in, from top to bottom, is the order they will connect to the internet. So if airport is at the top of the list, then airport will connect to the internet first, and the computer will use the airport network. If ethernet is at the top, it will use the ethernet connection, and so on.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac + PC wireless internet | Airport.........Unreliable??? »