New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme - Awesome Performance!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toonz

toonz is on a distinguished road

Hey All,

So only 2 weeks ago I jumped on the Mac bandwagon with a refurb white MacBook. Soon afterwards I wanted to watch some of my HD content while sitting in bed, but alas I couldn't because 802.11g just isn't fast enough.

So... yesterday I bit the bullet and bought the Airport Extreme access point. WOW!

Set it up in 802.11n only mode, and am keeping my Linksys WRT54G running for compatibility.

Using the Linksys and 802.11g I could push 2.5MB/s through the wireless.
Not with the Airport Extreme and 802.11n, I'm pushing a constant 8.4MB/s through the wireless from my desk, and at least 7.5MB/s anywhere in my house.

The best part about this, is the HD content I've got at times needs 4-6MB/s throughput to stream from my file server, so I can now watch this on the MacBook from anywhere in the house.

I'm a big fan of that!!
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I have the A Extreme base station, but I haven't really put it through its paces yet. I'm glad it's working out for you!

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
joyseeker

joyseeker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

my airport extreme arrived **** quick off the uk web shop today.

muggins here installed it quick and connected the new printer to it too.

tested if i could use it in the garden and surprising i couldn't..... but maybe that was because i had flagged 'use interface robustness' in the airport menu?

anyway still happy in this new world just 6 days into it. :mac:

(not noticed any speed difference yet with just one macbook..... but safari is definately quicker then IE.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help me out fellas, WoW aint working on my school | BitTorrent with Mac OS X »