New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

mac networking with pc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mtsurf

I need to know what I need to do to network a mac with a pc. I use Photoshop on my powerbook g4 but I edit in Vegas on a pc. Is it possible to have them interface?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Yeah it sure is, I believe you wanna try SAMBA share - have no pc, so I have not used it
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsurf
I need to know what I need to do to network a mac with a pc. I use Photoshop on my powerbook g4 but I edit in Vegas on a pc. Is it possible to have them interface?
Do you mean simply reading/writing files from one machine to another?

Turn on Windows File Sharing on the Mac, and enable file sharing on the Windows machine.

To access the Windows machine from the Mac, (OS X) choose Finder>Go>Connect to Server and browse/type the address or name of the Windows machine if you know it; (OS 9) I think you need to use the Network Browser or Network in the Control Panels.

To access the Mac from the Windows machine, choose Add Network Place and browse for the Mac.

....OR (if you're just transferring files) invest in a USB flash drive?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

All that is good, but so much sharing selection from GUI interface can result in exposing too many files/permissions to the internet, so this is best done off line to the 2 machines directly
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

The answer is quite simple. Connect the machines together (or on a network, behind a firewall) and enable filesharing on both. Using the PC, you will see that the Mac already has a folder shared by default called "Drop Box". This is a folder that you can merely drop stuff into, to get files onto the Mac. This folder is located in ~/Public/Drop Box.

Now over on the Mac, go to the desktop and push Command-K to bring up a connection dialog. Inside that dialog, type "smb://" and then the name of your PC. For example, mine is "smb://cerebellum". SMB, stands for Samba which is a Unix/Linux program for connecting with Windows. Once you do that, it will connect and ask you which share (folder) you want to connect to on the PC.

That's it! Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Networking OS X And Linux | weak signal on airport extreme? »